Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Braces at 40 yo....

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Braces at 40 yo....

Hi everyone !
    I should have had braces when I was younger but never did, as my parents couldn't afford it... now I have more problems and the 3 last dentists I've met told me it could help to put braces !
    It would be only on the lower part of my teeth, and I don't mind too much about the braces to be apparent or not.
    Some dentist have told me about Invisilign, but it's very expensive....

What are your experiences with braces in HK, what price could I expect for normal ones, where have you been and were you satisfied....

Any advice is welcome !
    Thanks !

canadianinhk is offline Registered User

I had braces put on as an adult here in HK. I had them for three years and teeth are now pretty great. I had the clear plastic ones which I wouldn't recommend because they discolour easily and stay discoloured until the orthodontist changes the elastic. Things that discoloured them were things like curry, coffee, mustard. Having said that if you only have them on the bottom it might not be so bad. This type is also more expensve than the regular ones.

I think I payed about $30,000 all told over a three year period including the retainer. Has been a few years though so I'm not really sure.

I used CD Tran Orthodontics. The number is 3116 2728. When I started with him he did a free initial consult to tell you what he thought you needed and how much it would cost.

Thanks for the information ! I'll contact them so I can compare to my dentist.

ssheng is offline Registered User

My husband used a great orthodontist in TST. The price for the entire thing was quoted as 50,000 (although I think it might have been more in the end). The Invisalign made it expensive, but my husband basically had a case where he couldn't do Invisalign at first but couldn't manage making frequent appointments for tightening braces. This ortho suggested braces to get the really crooked teeth aligned enough to be able to do Invisalign. The benefit of Invisalign is that you can be bad about wearing them all the time, but as long as you are holding your current position (say by just wearing at night), you don't lose anything, and can wear them more frequently once you are ready to start moving your progress along. (Obviously as was the case here!)

I think it's worth the price for Invisalign when you are an adult if you think you can't handle the look/feel of braces and the frequent appointments (with Invisalign they sometimes will let you take several sets with you to switch out on your own - very helpful if you travel a lot of if you might move partway through your treatment).

ssheng is offline Registered User

Whoops I just reread your questions and you already ruled out Invisalign! In that case, we were quoted around 30,000 as well for regular braces, but more for the shops directly in Central. You should definitely also check for their certifications - in our case we are from the US so we wanted a US ortho...

Jasminearif is offline Registered User

Has anyone used the Damon System? Do you know of any orthodontist that is offering it? I'm in my 30s and trying to gather enough courage to get braces put on. The Damon System is suppose to be better than the conventional braces - the elastic bands are used thus being less painful / discomforting. Also, less time is required wearing them. I would love to hear from anyone with advice, experience to share or dentists to recommend.

I'll have the braces put on by the end of the month... just have to do an extraction before (aarghhhh)... I can ask my dentist what he thinks about it and let you know if it's not too urgent...

Speculator is offline Registered User

So glad we have NHS dentist in the UK. In the UK, price for braces is HK$2500. If you are pregnant or gave birth within the last 12 months, it's completely free!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast