Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

When to pump?

mamaS is offline Registered User

When to pump?

When is the best time to pump to get more milk?

is it BEFORE, AFTER or DURING baby feeding on the other breast?

i have tried before so i'm "full" and can get more milk.

i have tried after but only a little comes out, but LLL leader says this is better.

i have tried while baby on one side and he is annoyed with the noise of the pump ;-)

any advice?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I only have a manual pump, but I find that if I do it during a feed, I get the most because I`m guaranteed a let-down, which I find very hard to achieve just by pumping alone. Second best I would go for right after, especially if the baby only had one side because there is still a lot of milk in the other breast from when you had your let-down. But before I used to wait til about an hour after a feed to give my breasts time to `build up` again.

Last edited by Shenzhennifer; 06-17-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Dear MamaS,

It really depends on why you are pumping.

Generally there are two reasons to pump:

1. the first to supply milk for the baby while you are separated
    2. and the second is to increase the milk supply (although I prefer getting the baby to do this if he is willing)

If you are pumping to supply milk then there is no "right" time to pump only the time which fits into your day the easiest. Most mothers find it is easier in the morning then in the evening. Sometimes you can feed the baby on just one side and pump on the other and if you are really clever (I wasn't) you can feed on one side while pumping on the other.

If you want to increase your milk supply then pump after the feeds. Remember that pumping works the same as breastfeeding in that the more you take out the more your body replaces. This maintains your supply so if you want to increase it you need to feed or pump when your breasts are empty.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

mamaS is offline Registered User

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply. My reasons are both #1 and 2, but more of #2.

If i pump after his feed of approximately 45-1 hour, then i don't get any, just 0.5 to 1 oz. Maybe my baby has emptied the breast. I'll try to do this technique more to increase my supply.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Is your supply really low?

Remember that the way to tell if your baby is getting enough milk is to look at the output, not the input nor the behaviour.

* Beginning about the third day or fourth day, your baby will have at least six to eight really wet cloth diapers (five to six disposables).

* Baby will begin having at least two to five movements a day beginning about the third day after birth. (Only valid for the first six weeks).

* Baby will gain an average of six ounces (170 grams) per week or one and a half pounds (680 grams) per month. Be sure to count weight gain from the lowest weight (his weight on the third or fourth day), not from birth weight.

* Your baby will nurse frequently, often every one and one-half to three hours, averaging about eight to 14 times a day. (For the first three months).

* Your baby will appear healthy, his colour will be good, his skin will be firm, he will be filling out and growing in length and head circumference, and he will be alert and active.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 06-18-2009 at 09:55 PM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org