Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Comfort Suckling?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Your baby could be having a growth spurt - they are very common around the three week mark. When a baby is having a growth spurt they often want to feed more than usual. This could be feeding longer at each feed or having a cluster of feeding at one point in the day (or night).

I often think of cluster feeding like a Chinese banquet - eat for 10 minutes, stop for 10 minutes, eat for 10 minutes, stop for 10 minutes, on and on. It is very common for babies to want this Chinese banquet at 3:00 am to 6:00 am!

The way I found was easier to cope was to feed the baby in a reclined position. See http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/p...ite-locked.pdf
    This way you can get rest while you are feeding the baby even if you can't get sleep. But remember that you will need to nap during the day when your baby does goes down for a longer sleep.

Don't worry about forming "bad" habits as your baby is still very small - when the growth spurt is over and he is easier to settle you can get him sleep in the crib again.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User
    I've done some more reading on reflux, and it sounds like this could be his problem. On top of the comfort suckling, he does the straining and bringing his knees up like LeahH described. Also some of the reflux websites I was reading up on mentioned frequent hiccups as a symptom and he gets hiccups ALL the time, not just after feeding. Another symptom that he has is arching his back and neck during feeding (which really tears at my nipples if he's still latched on!!!).

So tonight I'm going to try keeping him elevated for 30 minutes after feeding before putting him down, as well as elevating his head in his cot (with a pillow under the mattress), and I will try a pacifier too if I need to. (I'm really not anti-pacifier, just anti-habit formation.)

Luckily, I know nipple confusion isn't an issue as I've been having my husband (when he comes around) feed him EBM as a bonding thing since he was four days old and he's had no problem with the nipples. Really I think he'll suck on just about anything!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I have a pamphlet called Breastfeeding the Baby with Reflux.

I would be happy to post it to you if you'd like to PM me your address.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

carang is offline Registered User
    i wish you luck! let me know when/if you're ready for a lunch out! i'm off until at least thursday next week...

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User
    So after observing him have the same sleep pattern again last night, I think he does have reflux, but also could be cluster feeding. Raising his cot on one end and making sure he was well burped, etc did make him a lot less fussy. I also tried the pacifier, and he would suck it for a while but spit it out after 5 minutes, so not sure if it helped or not.

He still wanted to nurse every 30 minutes for 10 minutes or so, so he may be on that 2-7am cluster feed as well. If anything, it was a calmer night, even if it wasn't any shorter.

carey is offline Registered User
    My son is 23 days old and also like to suck. We introduced dummy probably around the 3 day he is home and I have been feeling a bit uncertain if I've done the right thing since I am trying to breastfeed and also know about the 6 weeks recommendation for dummy.

Due to my breast milk supple, we've been feed him one meal formula and one meal pump breast milk in a bottle ( he is inpatient with my slow let-down when he is hungry. ) IN between, If he wants to suck, I will give him my breast and He then seems to like sucking. Other times, when I am too tried to do it, my helper or husband gives him a pacifier. He seems really like it.

Usually, in a day, he has about two unsettled feeds that would last about four hours and then he is ready for the next feed. But after all the hours of tiring "struggle", we then all fall asleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12