Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

would you use warm breast milk again?

carey is offline Registered User

would you use warm breast milk again?

Hi, I breastfeed my baby for about 30 mins on both breast and today and he was cranky and kept taking himself off my breast towards the end. So I thought he wasn't getting enough and prepare to supplement him with express breast milk. But as we are warming the milk he just felt asleep.

My question is would you still keep this milk and use it later? shall I put it back to the fridge? Thanks.

geomum is offline Registered User

There are 2 views on this some say you should not expose the breastmilk to varying temperatures. Once you take it out of the fridge consume it soon after and discard the left over milk. Others say you can re- refrigerate it no more than once. Its really up to you I guess.
    Just to add warming breastmilk in an microwave or stove isn't a good idea. Just hold the bottle under hot running water to bring it to room temperature or use a bottle warmer.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

From what I read is that once you bring the milk above room temperature, you have to discard it even if you don`t use it. I know it`s a waste, but I`m sure you have a lot more where it came from:)

lylee is offline Registered User

My lactation consultant told me if the baby hasn't drank the warmed breast milk at all, you could put it back in the fridge & use it again at the next feeding. But agree with geomum, won't re-frigerate it more than once.

shuchisingh is offline Registered User

agree with lylee. i have done it once. if you want to be doubly sure - just taste the milk... discard it if there's any doubt at all.

joannek is offline Registered User

honestly, i can't bare the thought of throwing away my EBM, although i have a whole freezer full of it. so i have NEVER thrown away my EBM for my 1st daughter (who's now 4) & my 3 mths old.

so i do:
    re-warm previously warmed milk that have been put in the fridge.
    re-warm left over milk that have been drank from.
    the only thing i try not to do is rewarm frozen milk that have been previously drank from. but sometimes i still had to do that.
    the only thing i've never done is, refreeze defrozed milk. i try to let my baby finish the defrozed milk asap, but since she doesn't like the taste of frozen milk, i have to add 1/2 oz to every 4oz of fresh milk. so usually the frozen milk is consumed over the next 24 hrs.

carey, i remember your other thread about supplementing & that your baby always falls goes on & off at the end. that's what my 3 mth-old does, too. i notice it's because she's full but she wants to suck. so after sucking & the milk comes out, she comes off the breast, but she wants to suck, so she gets on the breast again. usually this is the time when i give her a pacifier (which i sworn i wouldn't use with my first, but boy am i glad i'm using it for my 2nd, cos they are the best invention since human!!)

carey is offline Registered User

Thank you ladies for your input. I guess since I still believe that my milk supply is not great so I treasure every drop of it but I know one should be careful with milk too.

I have got great support from the LLL so far and Sarah suggested what lylee said if the milk has not been touched by the baby, it can be re-frigerated.

This morning, I left my milk out at room temperature and thinking to discard it if he doesn't wake in an hour for it. He did wake up and we re-warm it and give it to him.

It's only the first month and I am home all the time so I try only give him milk express on the same day. I have not start freeze my milk yet.

joannek is offline Registered User

there's a website where it documented a test done on the bacteria growth of leftover (previously drunk from) milk. that i saw somewhere. i forgot the link, but it basically said after the test, there was no difference in bacteria growth in the previously drunk milk and fresh ones.

and carey, even when you have an abundant supply of milk like i do, i still treasure every drop of it. it IS liquid gold, in fact, to me, it's liquid diamond (only it's not a girl's best friend, but a baby's ^^)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast