Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Travelling to a different time zone. How does it effect Babies?

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    If you didn't purchase a seat for your baby, I would ask if there are any empty seats that you could get and put your baby in the carseat on the plane. If that's not an option then definately request a bulk head seat. When I flew with my then three month old she sleep sooooo well in the car seat and never fussed. On the return trip, she was 4.5 months old and we didn't have an empty seat for the car seat and it was very difficult to hold her and she was extremely uncomfortable and cried until we got this bassinet type thing (it basically looked like a duffle bag). We had to put her infront of our feet on the floor but she managed to fall asleep for the rest of the flight after that.

YTV
    YTV is offline Registered User
    we can't book it untill 38hours before the flight.

YTV
    we do have a car seat, and he does enjoy sitting in it.

carang is offline Registered User
    i highly recommend forgetting about taking along frozen breastmilk.... the headaches that would involve, i cannot begin to imagine. you will have a high enough stress level that you don't need to add to them.

you would:
    have to maintain the temperature of the milk
    carry along bottles, nipples, cleaning tools
    worry about sterilising them
    worry about warming up the milk
    worry about whether the milk is melting too quickly
    worry about whether the milk is going off

if necessary, i would take a pump and a bottle, if your nipples really can't handle 4-5 direct feeds over the course of 12 hours. (no judgement, just in case it sounds like i'm making one! )

keep in mind with carseats, it is not recommended to keep a small baby in one for extended periods of time. something like 2 hours max...

i never travelled with one, simply because i've taken my kids back on my own and just didn't have any extra hands to carry one along with everything else i had to carry.

to set your mind at rest, travelling with a child younger than 1 is not very difficult, it is once they get mobile and want to explore that it becomes increasingly hard.

good luck and most importantly.... HAVE FUN!

YTV
    Hi Carang,
    Thanks for the advise. Didn't take to comment the wrong way at all.
    I think I want take any frozen breast milk with me after all. I'll def bring a pump with me though.
    Hopefully by the time we fly I can feed him exclusively on the breast, Its been 2 whole days that I've been feeding him on the breast. still a little bit sore. I have one breast which he seem to have a bit of problem in sucking so it gets very sore. but it's getting better.

We do have a rocker which he loves sitting and sleeping in and it's big enough for him to be comfortable in so if the worst comes to it we'll take that with us on the flight.

the other thing i was going to mention is that if it is a night flight and your baby normally sleeps fairly well at night, you won't have any trouble. you may not even have to feed as often as i suggested. you baby will most likely follow his current schedule and therefore not need any feedings except on waking up just before landing.

as for sore nipples.... that will get better with use...you'll get used to it & baby will become more adept at it with practice.

when i took my 2 year old and my 5 week old to canada (36 hours door-to-door, via tokyo, portland, vancouver, kamloops, calgary and finally regina... oh wait, there was a blizzard and we were diverted to saskatoon where we sat on the runway for over 4 hours, unable to disembark because there was no security for us, then finally back to regina) on my own, the one saving grace for me was that i was exclusively breastfeeding. it was SOOOOOO much easier than having to worry about bottles, formula, sterilising etc. i don't even think i took a pump with me....can't remember, that trip is a total blur!

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Gosh, What airline is this that you can't book a bassinet more than 38 hours? Also, in case you are a frequent flier with this particular airline- try throwing a fit!.... Seriously! Sometimes these guys just don't get it when they come up with such rules and only become flexible till you absolutely demand it...

Most American airlines do not have a seat belt for the kid, but Cathay does (which slides on to yours); its a pain and not very practical frankly. God forbid something were to happen, and we had to evacuate- I would spend more time undoing the damn belt than running for safety.
    Last edited by Suv; 06-21-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: missed alphabet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast