Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pumping and work - Help!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Pumping and work - Help!

I've been mostly breast feeding my 3 month old baby except for one bottle of formula at the last feed each night. However, I am going back to work in one month and am worried that I won't be able to pump out enough to feed the baby EBM for the two meals that he will have to be fed while I'm at work.

I usually feed him directly from my breast for all of his meals during the day except the last one in the evening when my husband gives him a bottle. But on a few occasions, I have not fed him directly but have pumped during the day and on those occasions that I pump during the day, I don't get enough for one feed - sometimes only 4oz from both breasts combined. Because my baby doesn't wake up in the middle of the night anymore, I can pump in the middle of the night (when it has been 6+ hours since my last feed from the breast) and get 6-7 oz from both breasts. However, pumping during the day just does not yield enough for one meal for my baby.

Is there anything I can do to increase the amount that I can pump out? I know that when I feed my baby directly from the breast, he is getting enough as he is satisfied after each meal, pees/poos enough, etc. But when I pump, I just can't get enough out during the day. What should I do? Would trying a different pump help? Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear FutureHKmom,

My two top tips to get more milk are to spend two minutes playing with your nipples before you start pumping and also to warm the flanges of the pump before pumping.

If you can't get enough milk to leave for your baby from two pumping sessions try to increase the number of sessions you pump. If you increased to three sessions and shared the milk between the two meals you'd be OK.

Many mothers try to get in a pumping session before they go to work - it can be a real boost to know that you already have a few ounces of milk before you even start your working day. Often mother have a lot of milk first thing in the morning and can feed on one side and pump on the other.

We have a yahoo email group for working mothers and you are very welcome to join and ask their experiences, lalecheleaguehongkong-working : LLL-HK Working Mothers Support

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    You may also want to check out another thread going on at the moment on the topic of increasing milk supply and what has worked for others.

How to increase your breast milk.

I went back to work when my first DD was three months. I had a standard booking in the office boardroom at 11 and 4pm to express and did this for 6 months or so until she went onto one feed during the day and then I just expressed at 11am (to get it over and done with). I was lucky to have a good supply and didn't have to top up.

It takes co-ordination to express at work but well worth it I think. I also snacked on fruit ALL day! Had a bowl at my desk - otherwise I would have turned to chocolate and the like (like I did with my second DD)!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks Sarah and Oze_Kid. I also did read the other threat about how to increase your breast milk. But I'm wondering, as I am feeding directly from my breast now, in order to try to increase my supply before I go back to work, should I pump before or after the feed? I'm thinking before as most of the time after the feed, I can't get anything out.

Also - do people think it matters what pump I use? I'm using the Avent Isis Uno IQ now. Should I try to Medela to see if I can get more out each pumping session?

Thanks again!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hi, check out this forum:-

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppexcluspump

I found it really helpful for tips when I was exclusively pumping with my first.

For increasing, there is something called 'power pumping' which involves pumping for 10 mins, stopping for 10 mins and starting again which ups the supply very quickly. Info on exactly how to do it should be there.

In terms of pump, you need to try things out to see what suits you. Do you know anyone with different types you can try?

I used to use a double electric medela pump in style when I was exclusively pumping with my first, but I now use a manual Avent Isis for occasional pumping with my second. I get as much with the manual as I did with the electric!

mamaS is offline Registered User
    I have joined the group of working moms, i did not know they have this group. Thanks Sarah
    Last edited by mamaS; 06-22-2009 at 02:17 PM.

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Hi FutureHKmom, we are on the same boat, you're even luckier on pumping, i only get 2 oz maximum for both breast, sometimes 1 oz or nothing. I have been experimenting with pumping, i did it BEFORE feed, i get 2 oz fast but i feel baby is always hungry. As Sarah adviced on my other thread that i posted, i tried pumping AFTER each feed, i get 0.5 on one breast or sometimes just a drop. BUT i feel my breast becomes full and baby now feeds longer than 2 hours. I haven't tried waking up middle of the night to check if i have more milk now from pumping as i am so tired. If i pump after a "missing session" i get 2 oz fast, maybe if i have the patience to wait or massage i might be getting more now.
    I'm starting work in July so i need to resolve how to get more breastmilk.

I am using Medela pump in style, pumping 2 breast at the same time.

Sarah - thanks you as always for your help. Just want to ask is it normal to pump 0.5 ounce per breast AFTER each feed? it seems the baby sucks all the milk? I just continue pumping for 10 mins even if i don't get any. FYI - i latch directly the whole day, giving 1 formula at 11pm, baby is 2 1/2 months and low weight gain.

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Hi Sarah.....update, just pump and it's only 0.5 ounce for both breast AFTER baby's feed. Really nothing, i did pump for 15 mins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast