Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Are you sending your child to playgroups?

geomum is offline Registered User

Are you sending your child to playgroups?

I really don't know what to make of this swine flu, I can't confine my 15 month old to our house 24/7 so we do go out for playdates or to the park. She goes to Baby Buddies and they as of today have told me they are very rigid about their policies and so niether will they close- down nor allow make up classes. Infact I found the reply very rude as the owner said I could withdraw my daughter from the school but would have to give one month's notice (Which translates to 1 month's fee). So any suggestions as to what I should really do.
    Another thing i want to mention is that I had raised the issue of a sick child coming to class and the teacher said she can't send a child home even if they are sick once they have come to class. This makes me very worried.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi geomum

That is interesting. My child is also at Baby Buddies. I was wondering if they may close also but no word from them that they are contemplating it as yet. I personally think that the school closures were an overreaction (particularly when the normal flu is just as dangerous, if not more) but I would leave the class if there was a sick child there and the teacher was not going to send them home. Problem is, lots of children get runny noses with teething so often hard to tell who is a "sick" child. I am still taking my baby along but washing his hands when he comes in and washing them when we leave (as well as before his lunch which he has there). It does not stop other sick children touching everything but is the best you can do short of not taking them for a while. My boy is teething so hands are in his mouth all the time. Stressful!

SB2

geomum is offline Registered User
    I agree with you Starbucks there is no way to know whether a child is having a slight runny nose or something serious. A playgroup is a closed space with 10- 15 children sharing many toys in a short period and then putting hands in their mouth. Moreover taking temp is just an eyewash since an infected person is capable of infecting others beginning one day before symptoms develop and up to seven or more days after becoming sick, meaning that the disease could be passed on to others without the patient knowing it.