Pre-Term Contractions and Risks of Pre-mature Delivery
- 06-23-2009, 05:32 PM #9Registered User
- Join Date
- Sep 2003
- Discovery Bay
OP, the dexamethasone shots you are talking about should definitely not run to 15K!
The prescribed course is usually 2 shots 24 hours apart. My last pregnancy was under full private care in Hong Kong: the first shot was charged at HK$300 during my consult with Lucy Lord, the second was administered at my local GP the next day for a cost of HK$225.
For the record, in the case I'm referring to above shots were administered at 35weeks, and yes, they are very useful. My first child was born at 32 weeks weighing only 2lb 13oz, but due to having the "steroids on board" as they say, he required only a few hours of masked O2 before transferring to an isolette (no ventilator, no c-pap).
Hope that helps.
In any case, wishing you another uneventful 4 weeks pregnancy to bring you nicely to full term :-)
- 06-23-2009, 06:26 PM #10Registered User
- Join Date
- Mar 2007
- Hong Kong
OK - I double check the price again and it's $1.5K per shot, not $15K (phew!) and I also checked the prices at my sister's OB who's charging $450 per shot.
I seeked a 2nd opinion today who gave me a different view and I've also decided to register at Queen Mary tomorrow just in case I really fall out with my doctor, I have somewhere to deliver my baby. Hopefully the next few weeks will be less dramatic.
Thanks for all your feedback. I feel much better now.
- 06-23-2009, 06:34 PM #11
You don't register at Queen Mary, you must register at Tsan Yuk HOspital. that's where they do the prenatal care.
- 06-24-2009, 08:22 PM #12Registered User
- Join Date
- May 2005
woostock - I have had two babies at QMH - both early (one 36 weeks, one 35 weeks). They receievd excellent care both times.
I also went into early labour at 33 weeks - contractions every 3-4 mintutes but not really doing much (but gee, they still hurt!). I ended up at Princess Margaret Hospital and also had great care there. They held off on the steroids as they thought they could get the contractions under control, which they did.
I only had the steroid shot (only had time for 1) with my second baby: and he needed no ventilation/oxygen at birth.
I must say that even $1.5k sounds like a lot......:(
- By Liquorice in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 12Last Post: 06-12-2010, 05:46 AM
- By mela in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 6Last Post: 04-13-2009, 05:12 PM
- By VegemiteKid in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 4Last Post: 03-22-2008, 08:11 PM
- By dull in forum Baby TalkReplies: 3Last Post: 08-18-2007, 02:54 PM
- By BJMing in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 5Last Post: 07-13-2007, 11:27 PM