Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pre-Term Contractions and Risks of Pre-mature Delivery

woodstock07 is offline Registered User

Pre-Term Contractions and Risks of Pre-mature Delivery

I'm currently 33 weeks. Since 3 weeks ago, my OB puts me on the CTG machine on a weekly basis to measure contractions. It shows that I'm having regular (about 10 min apart) but small contractions.

Now, she is suggesting to give me a booster steroids jab that will help the developments of my baby's lungs in case I go into pre-term labour. The price of the jab is very expensive (more than HK$15K) so I would really like to seek a second opinion before going ahead. I would be willing to spend the money if it is for the best interests of the baby.

I wonder if anyone here had this type of jab before and could share with me the costs of such jabs.

Thank you.

carang is offline Registered User
    if the price is worrying you, head to the A&E or call Tsan Yuk and register with them.... the jab will most likely be free if it is needed.

if your doctor thinks that it is necessary, it's because she is worried that you will go into labour early. if it happens too early, then your baby may have to be in th NICU because of underdevelopped lungs.... it's not something i would like to happen if i could have prevented it.

mela is offline Registered User
    Has your doctor suggested any drugs to stop/ slow down the contractions?I have had mine from 24 weeks onwards and I'm taking nifedipine and progesterone +was on a bed rest for a while. Steroids are a standard course of action for the lung development in case of early labor but as Carang says if needed public hospital should give them to you for free.
    Good luck

AmyH is offline Registered User
    My waters broke at 27 weeks when I was pregnant with my son. I was also having contractions and I was given two steroid jabs in order to develop his lungs. Luckily they managed to stop the labour through IV drugs but I ended up having an emergency c-section four days later and my son was born weighing 2lb 5oz.

He was very lucky to have had the steroids and as a result only spent 12 hours on a ventilator and this was due to tiredness, not under developed lungs and came home after 8weeks in NICU (this was in the UK). There were many babies in the same room that were not lucky enough to have had the steroids and ended up going home on oxygen and spending a lot longer ventilated etc (not all, but a lot).

I would agree with Cara that you should register at a public hospital if you are concerned about the cost as they will only give it to you if completely necessary but it can make a huge difference to the baby if it is given in time.

Hope this helps,
    Amy

woodstock07 is offline Registered User
    carang, mela, AmyH: Thank you so much for your comments. I will definitely explore the public hospital route and in addition, get a second opinion from another doctor. I think fundamentally also, I'm not totally trusting my doctor as I feel that she is over-charging me on many items (I have chosen to just pay up if it's not excessive) and had subtly suggested C-section when I have insisted from the start that I will not consider c-section unless necessary.

carang is offline Registered User
    first and foremost you need to be comfortable with your doctor and trusting that she is doing what is in the best interest of you and your baby.

if she meets neither of these, no matter how small the "overcharge" or how small your "feeling" you should find a different doctor! as soon as possible!!!

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Again, I agree with Cara. I am also 33 weeks and 1 day pregnant today and have been seeing Dr. Alex Doo in the women's clinic for my antenatal appointments. I will be delivering at prince of wales hospital because of my previous history as I did not want to book a private hospital as I was told that there was a high risk of another pre term baby and wanted the best care (which I believe comes from public hospital).

From my first appointment with Dr. Doo I explained this to him and he has been very supportive of my decision (even though he is out of pocket as not delivering the baby!) I have been very lucky that I have not had the same issues as last time, I think it is because this one is a girl and last was a boy (my family seem to struggle with carrying boys for some reason!) I completely trust Dr. Doo and if he had advised steroids this time I would have had them but he has not carried out any unnecessary tests on me (even the one for Downs Syndrom as I advised him that it would not affect my decision in wanting to carry the baby so he actually advised against it if I was not prepared to have a termination either way!)

If you need any more advice please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sorry about the long winded replies!

Amy

mela is offline Registered User
    I have been overcharged by my previous OB before I was pregnant. She charged me 6 times more than the pharmacy price.Needless to say she is not my doctor anymore. Always good to double check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast