Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Problem with BFree Plus Teats

lylee is offline Registered User

Problem with BFree Plus Teats

hi, wonder if anyone had same problem with the bfree plus bottle teats... when my baby is sucking, the tip sinks in! once that happens, she stops sucking & gets irritated. it's really annoying for me as well since my baby is a difficult eater & underweight already. if anyone has had similar experiences, pls share & how i could prevent the tips from sinking! tks

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Yes, I've had that problem a few times but nothing big. I prevented this by learning how to hold the bottle at a certain angle and slightly pulling the bottle away while the baby was drinking (not yanking it away but giving it a sort of tension that actually keeps the bottle nipple pulled out). Also, my baby just learned to suck in a way in which that didn't happen after awhile--because I used those bottles with him for about one year. But, did you know that the BFree bottles also makes a silicone nipple to which this doesn't happen. This should only happen with the pure rubber nipples. Actually, the insert on the nipples warns that with the rubber nipples there may be an occurence of "nipple collapse" but says that the silicone nipples do not have that problem. You can buy the silicone nipples separately anywhere the BFree bottles are sold. We never had that problem with the silicone nipples but once we had a routine for the rubber nipples, we never used the silicone ones again.

Hope this helps.

tks thanka2. we actually use the silicone nipples already. and not sure why, we've never had this problem before until now at 8 mos. maybe the way my baby is sucking has changed? or now that she has one tooth? will try slightly pulling the bottle away per your advice. when you say holding the bottle at a certain angle, do you mean tilted slightly upwards? thanks.

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    Hi, I breastfeed my 10 month old, but when I give her water, I use the Bfree, and the exact same thing happens when she sucks on the nipple! I thought it was because she was sucking too hard or playing around, since she's not used to using a bottle.

Would love know why the nipple does that? We also use the silicone type.
    ~Theresa~

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    lylee, as far as angle goes, if I remember correctly (my son is 18-months now and doesn't use a bottle anymore so it's been awhile) we always kept the angle of the bottle probably at 55-60 degrees, so yes, a little bit up from the 45 degrees which is probably normal. Thankfully, my son wouldn't get too angry or impatient if it took us a minute to fix the nipple but the only problem was that it would take longer to feed a bottle. But of the year that we used that type of bottle, we only had that problem a handful of times. Do you still use the gas reducing mechanism on the inside--I know, the instructions say that after the baby gets older you can do away with it but we just always used it anyway. That may be why we didn't have many problems because that device creates a vacuum inside the bottle that may even things out with the increased force of an older baby sucking on the bottle. If you're not using the colic/gas reducing device, try using it (the one with the tube that goes down the middle) and see if it helps. I think actually, the only times we had problem with the nipple folding in on itself is when we used the bottle without the tube insert.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    lylee, what kind of teats do you have? Variable ones or a particular level. I had a hard time with the variable flow as I kept turning the bottle unknowingly and really annoying the baby because the flow would sometimes be slow and sometimes fast.

thanks thanka. we still use the colic/gas reducing device, but took out the tube recently. hm... wonder whether that is the reason why? i'll try placing those back on to see if it helps. not sure if the set of bottles we bought are faulty, but we've had lots of problems incl. leakage, the collapsed nipple now & the colic/gas reducing device (the clear & white part) becomes loose/undone. i tried switching to another bottle, but my baby wouldn't drink from it. she's a very difficult feeder.

suv, i have the level 3 flow. other than the collapsed teat, my baby seems fine with the flow.