Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Amnio experiences

mumsy is offline Registered User

Amnio experiences

Hi everyone, it looks likely that I will have to take an amnio due to my high risk Oscar result. I've already had a second opinion and the amnio is still recommended if I want to know for sure.

I've been reading previous threads and it seems the actual procedure is not that bad, but it's the actual fear of having one and the fear of risk of miscarriage which is scaring me.

For anyone who has actually been through an amnio, did the doctor give you a % of the risk of miscarriage. The websites seem to state the chance of miscarriage to range from 1:200 to 1:400 which is only 0.25%-0.5%.

I've read that you may experience mild cramping after the amnio for the next 2 days, but also that if a miscarriage happens it could take place up to 2 or 3 weeks afterwards. Does that mean after say 4 weeks you can consider your pregnancy 'safe'? I don't want to be worrying for the rest of my pregnancy.

Did anyone manage to get any preliminary results the next days, although I know the final results will take about 2 weeks?

Thanks for any advice, it would be much appreciated.

piper is offline Registered User
    Hi I did mine at 17 wks and I did have some cramping after but rested (no gym) for 3 days. yes, after 2-3 weeks you're in the clear. PM me if you have any more questions, I would be happy to help.

Piper
    Last edited by piper; 06-26-2009 at 03:29 AM. Reason: details

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much piper - I have PM'd you a few more questions.

cybabe is offline Registered User
    mumsy,

I did mine at 17 weeks same as piper, the doctor who did say to me they normally will give the result about 2weeks times if incase any bad news they will call you right away they won't take u and the baby on risks... I managed to get the result in1.5weeks time. So no worry.

Good luck to you.