Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

BFree plus Level 1 vs level 2 teats

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

BFree plus Level 1 vs level 2 teats

I was wondering if it was necessary to change from Level 1 to Level 2 BFree plus teats once my baby has reached 3 months. I am mostly directly breastfeeding my baby but give him one or at most two bottles a day since he was 6 weeks old. In one month, half of his feeds will need to be by bottle as I am returning to work. I have been using the Level 1 teat which as I understand it is a slower flow than Level 2. As he gets older, I am told he should change to Level 2 for faster flow, but since I am mostly breastfeeding, should I keep his teats at Level 1 for a slower flow so it is more like the breast? Thanks for any advice.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

it is recommended to remain on Level 1 if you are also breastfeeding

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

As per Aussie mum's recommendation I've kept my son on Level 1 until now (he is 5 months old), but both my nanny and my husband thinks we should change to Level 2 as he is sucking pretty strenuously now when he takes a bottle while I'm at work and getting all hot and sweaty after the feed. I want to continue breastfeeding so should I switch or not? Thanks!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

I used the same bottles and was both breastfeeding and bottlefeeding. When he was 14 weeks I ended up changing the teats from Level 1 to Level 2 as my son was also sucking very hard and I found he was getting alot of wind. When we changed over it was alot easier for him and he seemed to drink more calmly. There is no harm in trying...

Last edited by karmah1; 09-03-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: added

Portia is offline Registered User

I was told by my health visitor that there is no real need to keep buying different level teats. She told us just to enlarge the hole a little with a sterilised and heated up needle. It worked for us.

BabyG is offline Registered User

I used level one Bfree teats and switched to level 3 at around 11 months. I think that your baby should be your guide. If she is sucking very hard with a loud noise then that might be a sign that you should move up to the next level.