Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Helpers and mobile phones

zac08 is offline Registered User
    this thread just makes me very thankful and happy that we have such a great mature responsible helper whom i know i am lucky enough to be able to trust implicitly without having to treat like a child.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
    Great to see you back in form HappyV with your extreme views and extreme examples.

We don't have any rules in our house for phone use but our helper knows it would be a big problem for us if she started behaving like lots of helpers in our building do,i.e talking on the phone for the entire time they take kids to the playground etc.

I can see that some helpers do however need rules. Hell, we've had two previous helpers that did. If you didn't spell it out for them they would do it and then plead ignorance. Not all helpers are created equally. Some have common sense, some don't. Some are willfully disrespectful, for others it just comes naturally! And of course, there are plenty who are great and do their job just fine.
    Aussiegal,
    Agree with what you are saying one hundred percent. Truly appreciate your comprehensive and level-headed approach--now before someone jumps up...in MY opinion.

rani is offline Administrator
    We don't have any rules either. Our current helper is mature and responsible and the calls don't effect her work. She still manages to get all chores done at the end of the day.

However, my previous helper drove me crazy. After every task (which she rushed through) she would hide in her room/kitchen and talk on the phone. Her calls weren't even short, 30 mins each time. And she even gave our home number to all her friends and our land line rang non-stop.

Agree with Aussiegal, some helpers do need to be given house rules, while others just know right/wrong.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    aussiegal, may I refer you back to AussieMum's comments earlier in the thread. Instant dismissal upon using the phone seems pretty harsh to me.......

I thought I was being pretty clear that my comments referred only to those who ban phone calls, hence my question directed to "All the mums who ban phone calls....."

How is it extreme to plead tolerance? If someone is going to fire their helper for daring to use the phone while a child is playing happily and safely, then it's not so far a stretch to imagine the scenarios I suggested.

Rules are one thing, but you can have rules without a blanket ban.

lylee is offline Registered User
    agree with aussiegal & rani. like rani, my previous helper also rushed through tasks & then only to find her later in room/kitchen talking with friends, texting or playing games on her phone. or staying in the washroom for a long time to do the same thing.

i believe certain house rules are necessary. for some, it may be re: mobile phones, and others something else. i envy those who have helpers knowing what to do at what times & no rules are needed. sounds like you have an amazing helper. unfortunately for mine, training is needed & as are house rules.

banning phones during work hours & enforcing their emotional cut off from their familes/friends? i'm not sure about that as they have plenty of time after work hours/weekends to catch up...

after work hours is what... after 9pm?? when they have to get up at 6/7am to work again? hmmmmmm.

i don't think either aussiegal or rani were endorsing banning mobile phone usage during ALL work hours. just whatever makes sense given the type of helper they have.

lylee is offline Registered User
    zac08, after work hours at my place is around 9pm or whenever she finishes the dishes & wake up time is 7am.
    i think that is quite reasonable, maybe not in your point of view.

i agree with aussiegal & rani also in that they understand there are helpers out there who are not as responsible whislt some are. it seems yours is great, so good for you! not everyone is as lucky you must understand.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast