Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Helpers and mobile phones

sorchului is offline Registered User

Helpers and mobile phones

How do you deal with helpers and their mobile phones? Anyone has some rules for them?

I know some mums band helpers using mobile during their working hours (i.e from 7/8am to 9pm). This does not work for working parents as the helpers talk or send messages for sure while we are away.

The only 'rules' I have set are 1. Not to use it while being with the baby and 2. when cooking as it can be dangerous.

Comments and advice please

lylee is offline Registered User

i tried to reinforce no mobile phone for previous & current maid, but they still do it behind my back (& i'm a stay at home mom already). besides using their mobiles as soon as i step out of the house, one used it in the washroom behind locked doors. how i found out is that she placed her mobile phone in the washroom cabinet. i also have the rule that absolutely no mobile phone while being with the baby, but no luck so far. she just places baby in the playpen & then types/calls away. if anyone here has been successful, pls share! tks

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I have no rules about mobile phones or landlines. I would use a mobile while looking after my baby so why not my helper too. I can't see that it would be dangerous - it isn't when I use mine.

LeahH is offline Registered User

I agree with Barbwong, I am often on blackberry and mobile when I'm with my two kids, cooking - pretty much everywhere and we certainly have no phone rules for our helper.

She uses her common sense and wouldn't be on the phone if she were watching the kids near traffic, water or if she needed to be fully engaged for safety reasons.

Surely multi-tasking is a skill to be encouraged!

misizlee is offline Registered User

We also have no rules for our helper using her mobile. She takes great care of our son and our home. We trust her not to neglect her duties, and she never has. I have no idea who she calls or receives calls from, but I do know our helper has a son, a family and a life back in her home country. I think it's important that she should have her mobile on hand incase of an urgent call. Like I said, we trust her and she doesn't use her phone excessively.

HK2008 is offline Registered User

I often see a helper with a 2-3 year old boy in a playground near where I live. She is always on the phone giggling and chatting away. And the poor little boy? He is holding HER bag for her.. while waiting patiently by quietly kicking the pebbles on the ground. I feel sorry to see how bored he gets after 40 minutes or so...

I'd feel very happy for anyone who has the luxury of being able to constantly engage in long and private chats on their mobile at any work place. Good for you!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

There is a huge difference between someone constantly engaging in long and private chats on their mobile in the work place and someone taking a few person calls in the work place.

I work and would hate it if my boss said I was never to make personal calls but I wouldn't abuse the fact I'm able to make calls. So I feel the same way about the helper I employ - if she was to be constantly on the phone and unable to do her job I would mention it but banning her from using the phone is a different matter.

Just because she is living in your home doesn't make her status any less as an employee.

sorchului is offline Registered User

I agree with barbwong. Banning the phone is not necessary and the helper will not like it.

All in all, it depends on how wise the helper is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast