Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help! Baby don't nap and sleep enough

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Pekkie,

Please do not allow Gina Ford to educate you about breastfeeding. Her book is about schedules and not about breastfeeding. So whenever there is a conflict between keeping the baby on a schedule and keeping the baby breastfeeding Gina will go with the schedules and I will go with the breastfeeding.

It is really very normal for a baby of 11 weeks to ask for milk every two hours while awake. I would expect your baby to have between 8 and 12 feeds every 24 hours. These will not be regular but rather part of the 24 hours will be regular, part of the 24 hours the baby will have a longer sleep (maybe even 5 or 6 hours) and part of the 24 hours the baby will have quite few feeds in just a few hours(making up for the feeds he missed while asleep).

I know that Gina says she is 100% for breastfeeding but in fact the advice she gives often conflicts with successful breastfeeding. She also suggests a lot of pumping - this can easily lead to breastfeeding problems before six weeks - and is usually hard work making the whole experience much more tiring than necessary.

One of the ways I copied when my babies were little was to breastfeed lying down. Once they were asleep I would roll away from them and put pillows around to make sure they didn't fall off the bed. Because I wasn't moving them once they'd fallen asleep they tended to sleep for longer. If I fell asleep too then I decided that my priority was to get more sleep that day but if I was awake when the baby slept I was allowed to get up and play on the computer!

Are you able to comfortably breastfeed lying down? If not, practice in the middle of your double bed with lots of pillows until you are confident.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Pekkie is offline Registered User
    I thought I've replied to this thread but don't see it here. The "post quick reply" function doesn't seem to work.. Anyway, thanks Dink and Sarah for your suggestions.

Sarah, I've started breastfeeding lying down and baby takes it very well, in fact, I think that's the best position for him!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12