Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Does your helper stay out late?

carang is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy0741 View Post
    after she was given day-offs after three months, she became a completely new person (not nice anymore),

i SERIOUSLY hope that something was lost in translation here.... from the sound of this it seems like you didn't give your helper days off for the first 3 months???? not only is that immoral, it is also illegal!

if it was me, you can bet i wouldn't be a nice person any more if i was made to work like a slave for 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!

as for the rest of the post...

meeting new guys?? so long as your helper is single and not working as a prostitute, what does it matter??? did you never date yourself???? come on!

smelling like cigarettes! god forbid! wow, she must have gone someplace just dreadful to come home smelling like cigarettes! aiya! so, she washes her clothes and has a shower! problem solved! she doesn't smell like cigarettes anymore!

to wanfamily:

i would just sit down with her and have a talk. say, that you understand she's met friends and is having fun, but that you would appreciate a telephone call if she will be home after 9pm, just so you don't worry. explain that once you start working, you might like to limit the number of nights out just so that you are sure she gets enough rest. that you wouldn't want her to get sick because you will be working and won't be around to help out if she does.

keep it adult and civilised. remember that so far as i can tell, she is still acting responsibly. after all, 10pm isn't very late.

Bumps Guest
    I hear the voice of reason - thank you Carang!!

sorchului is offline Registered User
    To clarify: day-offs after 3 months: I think that means the labour holidays. According to the law, if the helper has worked with the same employer for 3 consecutive months, she is entitled for the labour holidays.

like i said, i REALLY hope that somethign was lost in translation.

even so, when my helper started (5 days before i gave birth via emergency c-section) i still gave her the CNY holidays paid...my son was born on the 4 day of CNY...

it's really such a small amount of money, something like $135/day that i would feel like a rotten scrooge not to pay her... seems very petty to me.

Bumps Guest
    To clarify: the discourse in the initial 4 posts was appalling and warranted "strong stuff!"
    Last edited by Bumps; 06-29-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Sorchului
    I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but your helper is entitled to statutory holidays within the first 3 months. She is however not entitled to be paid for the statutory holiday until after she has worked for 3 months. This is in sections 39 and 40 of the Employment Ordinance. So she was entitled to the statutory holidays off even within the first 3 months.
    Last edited by Portia; 06-29-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Addition

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    Thank you for your comments. My main reason for posting was because I am new to this helper thing and wanted to see what your experiences were. Maybe there there was something lost in translation - I am more concerned about my own naivity of the situation as I have never had a helper before. When my helper came she told me that her last employer imposed rules etc to 'protect her'. I decided it was not my style to impose rules as she is entitled to do what she likes in her private time. My concerns are as follows:
    1) Should I be more 'responsible' for her (ie am I not fulfilling my role as being a caring employer?
    2) I am nervous about the change of going back to work, especially as my hubby will be away for 4 months during that time.
    I have talked in depth about the changes in routine that will need to happen ( Bumps - It hurt to be accused of taking advantage of anyone - I would NEVER expect my helper to work longer hours than me - at the moment, I get up at 5:30 to take care of the kids, while she starts at 8 - then we work together until the day's work is done . She is absolutely adamant that she wants to stay, evern though I have told her it will be more difficult as she said 'I want to stay with you because it's hard to find a kind employer'.

I liked the advice about getting her into the new routine gradually to avoid resentment and the advice from Cara about talking to her as an adult.Thank you for that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast