Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby room usage

Koan is offline Registered User
    I'm also one of those crazy western women who doesn't mind if the whole world sees my boobies, but I don't think it's inconsiderate of the mother to lock the door and nurse her baby in the baby room. She has every right to take all the time her baby needs. How do you hurry up a baby anyway?

If she were in there doing her makeup (like two snotty teenage girls were in the IFC baby room once, while the cleaner kept banging on the door asking them to hurry up so I could go in with my kid) I'd think it were rude. Hmf.

miao is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Koan, thanks for your imput. Just to clarify -- I wasn't suggesting that the mother should rush her baby; as you said she had every right to take as long as she needed. All I was saying was that when other people knocked the door she (in fact her husband, who answered the door) should probably let other mothers go in to change nappies or warm bottles at the same time. Or, there may be other mothers who needed to breastfeed, too, since the bench in the baby room is long and can to be used by more than one person (I've seen two mothers breastfeeding there at the same time).

Not ideal for her, I know. But since it is so crowded in Hong Kong and baby rooms are such a scarcity everywhere, I just thought people should probably be more considerate for others' need. For the record, when I use baby rooms to breastfeed or change I never lock the door so that others can use it at the same time (unless the room is too small to take another user).

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    Yes, I echo you, miao. Young babies take a lot of time to feed sometimes. No need to rush them, but since there are so FEW of these rooms, and how many thousands of nursing mothers in HK... it is borderline ignorant to take over the rooms, especially ones that are meant for more than one person. Having said that, bathroom stalls all have locks and are fairly private:)
    At Discovery Park mall where I live, it`s quite baby friendly, with nursing rooms on all three floors, and many a time I have shared the rooms with other moms. I`ve met some great people in those rooms too.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    I have had the experience of finding people sleeping in the mothers rooms (at discovery park). Not mothers, just random people there alone. I think if it is clearly a Public BF room meant for more than 1 person then they should take the lock right off the door, that is really rude to assume that your baby is the only baby in world that needs to eat at that moment. If it is meant to hold just 1 person, then I can see that being a private one. I fed anywhere and everywhere and didn't really need a special BF room except that there is hardly anywhere to sit, so would use the BF room for that reason, also used then when I had a toddler and a baby to that the toddler can't run away on me in the mall. I find it really odd why it is such a big deal to let another mother in to the room with you. Why do families even go in those rooms? Why couldn't the dad wait outside or take the other kids outside, there is hardly any room as it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12