Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

how do you know if your child is "gifted"?

carang is offline Registered User
    i'm not sure what i want to do... although i only mentioned the 40 that i see currently, i have seen a lot more than that in my 14 years of teaching.

we live out in the boonies and there isn't a lot of stimulation at home. my son is at school (or at least was) and he will be going full day next year, so she will be at home by herself... i'm a little concerned that she won't be stimulated enough.

just wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Koan is offline Registered User
    Giftedness IMO is not to do with learning skills. Everyone learns skills. Smart people learn them faster and earlier, but almost everyone learns them.

Giftedness is about creativity and a willingness to experiment, take risks and create.

You're an educator, right? Maybe you could take a certificate in gifted ed? It would help in your job (woohoo tax deduction!) and you can apply it in your everyday life too.

Bumps Guest
    Have you checked out EDb website?

EDB - Gifted Education

duh, no.... you are a star, bumps!

Bumps Guest
    The questions/ answers link is pretty informative..:)

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i guess what i'm asking is... is there anything i can to to help her even more? i do NOT want to push her, i just want to make sure she is stimulated enough. she already comes to my playgroup with me once or twice per week and she can hold her own in a class of 3-4 year olds (and has done since she was 2).

i don't think i'm just being a "proud mama", as i said, i see a lot of kids every week and my daughter really seems to have more in common with the 3-5 year olds than with the other 2 year olds....i've never been a fan of "testing" for "gifts" but i'm wondering if i do nothing, should i be doing something?
    Please tell me too when you find out. I don't think it's a case of comparing kids as suggested by aussiegal. My 2nd (21 months) also appears to be much more advanced (I do not teach playgroup so have only seen the ones in her playgroups and friend's children) and the thing I worry about is whether I am giving/teaching her enough to fully develop the skills that she has. I know if I do not use what I learnt, I tend to lose it, so if she really is "gifted", then whether normal teaching/playing (same as her sis) would slowly dull that.

On top of that, she is born 29 Sep and I so wanted her to start pre-nursery this Oct at her sis's kindy since I thought she'd be very ready. But due to the enormous no. of babies born, they have decided to postpone all sep kids to starting pre-nursery next aug. This means I will have her at home with me for a whole year, I am wondering what I should be doing other than playgroups here and there for the coming year.

my daughter is a february baby, so she won't be going to school until she is almost 3.5yrs (which would be fine by me), but like i said, i'm worried that staying at home for a year without big brother around and only coming to my classes a couple of times per week will be ok for her.

as i said, we live in the boonies and there are not a lot of kids around for her to just play with, they all go to school.

ps> thanks, koan. i would love to do it, but honestly, with 2 kids and running a playgroup, plus helping hubby with his job, there's not a lot of extra time to do the courses that i'd like to do.

pps> i was a "gifted" child, too. my parents didn't do anything "special" but once at school, i was always in the "gifted" classes. it was enough to keep me stimulated...
    Last edited by carang; 06-30-2009 at 09:57 PM.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Carang, I was in a gifted class too yet I'm still here in HK not saving the world. Not sure what the benefit is of being classified in such a way. In fact my school wanted to put me up a grade because i was 'gifted' but i was completely out of my depth socially (a year is a long time when you are 5/6) so thankfully my parents didn't allow it. I think it's definitely a good idea to keep offering your daughter stimulation anyway you can get it but with a real focus on social interaction. IMHO it is the people with the best social skills that get ahead in life.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast