Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

how do you know if your child is "gifted"?

carang is offline Registered User

how do you know if your child is "gifted"?

first off, i HATE the term "gifted", but as a teacher i see MANY, MANY children. i realise that all kids develop at a different pace.

i have wondered about my daughter though.

she's 2yrs4m. i've done some reading regarding developmental milestones. i have realised that by 2 years she had mastered 95% of the milestones set out for 3 year olds. the exception being toilet training.

she's spoken full sentences since she was 20 months. has a vocabulary of mimum 300-400 words in english, it could even be more... i haven't bothered counting. she understands cantonese, but prefers to speak english. she even makes up her own jokes sometimes. when i give her a book of "first words" she can name about 95% of them. the ones she can't name are usually ones we don't use very often.

physically, she's ahead as well. she was climbing steps on her own at 13 months. she's been climbing steps, alternating feet, since about 20 months. she walks on tip toes, can kick a ball in the correct direction, can throw in the right direction and can sometimes even catch. she's been eating with a fork since 22 months (or so) and can drink from a bottle or a cup fairly well.

she's been able to share toys and treats with friends since she was about 20 months and can take turns if told to. (she counts to ten, then asks for her turn... on her own!)

i guess what i'm asking is... is there anything i can to to help her even more? i do NOT want to push her, i just want to make sure she is stimulated enough. she already comes to my playgroup with me once or twice per week and she can hold her own in a class of 3-4 year olds (and has done since she was 2).

i don't think i'm just being a "proud mama", as i said, i see a lot of kids every week and my daughter really seems to have more in common with the 3-5 year olds than with the other 2 year olds....i've never been a fan of "testing" for "gifts" but i'm wondering if i do nothing, should i be doing something?

does that make ANY sense at all?

Bumps Guest
    It makes a lot of sense. You can see that your daughter has reached the milestones of those in her age group and beyond. I use to teach summer classes for 'gifted' children when I was studying. I too am not a fan for testing for gifts. I do however, believe in keeping them cognitively stimulated and challenged.... quite often you can see that they are craving 'something more'. Yet, at the same time, keep them familiar with friends of a similar age.

Bumps Guest

after watching the video, i realised that my daughter, born one month early was walking by 1.5 months... which is like 9.25 months old... she also crawled by 5 months, which is like 3.75 months old....

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Don't forget she might be stimulated by her older brother, and he is the example to follow... It's very common to see the second child developping abilities much quicker. One of my friend has the same situation with her second child, who is already speaking much more than mine (who is the first one) at the same age, was walking sooner, is very independant and mature.
    That could explain why she is feeling confortable with older ones.
    Not saying it's the only explanation for sure ! it will be interesting to see how she reacts when she starts kindergarden.

that's what i always thought, that it's just because she has an older brother to "show her the ropes".... but i contstantly find myslef amazed by her vocabulary and ability to express herself....like i said, i am able to compare her to about 40 other children that i see weekly in my playgroup classes.

for example...

today, i asked my daughter, "did you go to play on the trampoline today?"

"no, yaya said it was too hot. we went to feed the fish instead."

ver batim...

Bumps Guest
    Wow, that is a pretty amazing response!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I think every parent thinks their child is special in some way. In my opinion it is more important, as Bumps said, to continually offer them ways to stimulate their brains than to compare them to others their own age. At the end of the day 40 kids is not a big number and there is a whole world out there full of children doing things at different paces. I always want to raise my children so that they don't care what others are doing but rather care about being the best they can be.

There's also a lot of interesting reading to be had around intelligence with the bottom line being that you only need to have a certain level of intelligence to become successful in life. So in other words, Bill Gates is of above average intelligence and mega successful yet many people who have tested off the charts in terms of intelligence have led less than stellar lives career wise and often have not developed other even more important (social) skills. I think we can all see examples of this around us.

I think it's great that your daughter has fantastic communication skills and think you should keep encouraging her but beyond that what did you actually want to do except what you have always done?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast