Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

16 months baby having nightmare

tallmama is offline Registered User

16 months baby having nightmare

my girl is a good sleeper since day one. she takes one nap in the morning (10am to 12:30pm) and sleeps peacefully from 8pm to 7:30am. about two months ago, she started to cry at the middle of the night. i'm pretty sure she's not teething. the cryings used to be once every few nights, not until these two weeks she cries/screams at least two times a night!!! she'll cry (without tears) or just says "ah, ah". i can tell she's sleeping when she cries/screams (eyes closed). she'll stop after i patted her a few seconds or she'll stop by herself in less than 1 min.

so, is it common to toddlers at this age? when will this phase end? is it nightmare/night terror (just wondering if she can have a few nightmares every night????)? could it be due to overtiredness? i'm completely stressed out and i couldn't sleep well at all. my plan is to change her morning nap to a lunch nap (12:30pm-2:30pm), with the hope that she can stick to her 8pm sleep time.

any advice/sharings???

Frenchy is offline Registered User

My 19 months son is doing the same for a few months, just screaming in the night, like crying... it wakes me up but after 1 mn he will go back to sleep. He is doing that from 1 to 3 times per night, and unless he goes on crying and calling us, I won't go in his bedroom. I'm not sure he is doing nightmares, or just pushing, or having a gaz, or lost contact with his teddy bear...
    His night schedule is 8pm to 8 am, and his day nap is from after lunch to around 3-4pm, so... nothing to worry about.

What happens if you don't go to see her during the night ? she'll go on sleeping ?

tallmama is offline Registered User

frenchy, she'll go on sleeping if we don't pat her (we live in the same room). i'm completely stressed out! how about you?

Frenchy is offline Registered User

If she doesn't wake up, then don't stress... and if she wakes up, maybe it's just because she's wet, or having cramps (it happened to my son depending on what he is eating, and he is having gaz)... It can also be the sleeping pattern, we are all going through phases which last 90 mn (if I remember well), and these reactions can happen either in the deep sleep or in between two phases as she is "falling asleep" again, and babies always fight during this phase.