Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

skin problem -----help!!!!

cybabe is offline Registered User

skin problem -----help!!!!

Did any mum have same problem as me during pregnancy time ?
    I've got skin problem since Im preg... for the first child my skin was perfectly good but this time i'm not that lucky. I've got eczema and itchy all over my body, its been 5 mnths now seeing lots of doc even the dermatology it doesn't work ! They told me i need to wait until baby born, most likely the skin will be recover by then but one thing im worry is the mark of the skin , it went dark colors.... arghh it was horrible any idea how can I not scratch the skin or any way to remove the mark on the wounds?

YTV
    YTV is offline Registered User
    You are totally normal. I had the same problems you just have to use A LOT of cream! I found the Avent body cream worked really well . It's a bit hard to fine in HK and when you do find it, it's pretty exspensive.
    You can try ordering it from boots and have it sent over. Boots.com.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I had horrible itching all over my body for the last 3 months of my pregnancy. It really drove me insane. I would scratch so badly that finally my midwife asked, "Did the cat scratch your legs?!"

I couldn't sleep at night and I was in misery. The cause of the itching was simply the hormones from pregnancy which I was very sensitive to. There was nothing they could do to make the itching stop but after my son was born it went away completely and quickly.

I found that oatmeal was the ONLY thing that provided any relief. If you have a bathtub, fill it up with water, put in 3-5 handfuls of oatmeal (the cheap stuff that you can buy at Wellcome is perfect).

Make sure the water is not too hot--lukewarm water is best because hot water irritates and dries out your skin. Let the oatmeal sit for a few minutes and then sit in it.

If you don't have a bathtub, you can still do something in the shower. Take the same amount of oatmeal and put water with it in a big bowl. Let it sit. Then take handfuls of the soggy oatmeal and rub it all over your body. Let the clumps of oatmeal sit on your skin for about 3-5 minutes. Use the oatmeal water to rinse the rest of the clumps off. Gently pat yourself dry--by keeping the oatmeal residue on your skin you'll get more relief for longer.

Also, get some aqueos cream (not expensive and found at almost every pharmacy in Hong Kong) and after a shower, within two minutes lather on a thick layer of it. Lotion actually can't do you much good as far as providing moisture for your skin--the best you can do, is after a shower, seal the dampness into your skin with a thicker, non-scented, hypoallergenic cream.

If you're having a really horrible itchy time and it seems to be like an allergic reaction, you can take a pine-tar bath. That stuff smells really bad but it does work to take the itch away.

The reason why I know all of this stuff is because I've had to do ALL of it at different times--I have extremely dry skin, grew up in a really dry climate, have had a few allergic skin rashes and then the horrible pregnancy itchiness. I am like a warrior when it comes to fighting itchy skin!

I know the oatmeal bath might sound disgusting but it is the most soothing thing I found. And I also tried everything else. I think that Aveeno also makes a lotion with oatmeal in it. Here is a thread from last year talking about where to buy Aveeno in Hong Kong.

I hope that you get some relief. Also, have you tried calamine lotion? Calamine lotion is the faint, light pink lotion that you put on mosquito bites. It has a pleasant scent. It's not expensive and I think you can buy it at the local pharmacies here. Also, Desitin diaper rash cream (white and thick cream used on babies for diaper rash) also has zinc ozide in it which is one of the active ingredients in Calamine lotion. Desitin is a bit messy and smelly, though.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I suffer ATopic Excema and was pleased it didn't flare up during preg. I did get massive sand fly bites all over my arms and legs (think measles) and didn't want to take anything for it (Dr suggested a round of antibiotics) so calamine was my best friend to help the itching. I looked very silly for about 6 weeks but didn't care.

I feel your pain.

Thank you very much for all the responses...
    I did try the calamine at the first stage but it doesnt work i found it only last for 10 mins then I feel itch again, for the aqueos cream I also try that seems ok but still ..... can't stop my sensitive skin, I end up try the antibiotics a week ago it does control my skin problem, since my skin got infection there have some water coming out like a little spot. ....I do worry about the baby though. Suppose doc gave the amount of pills to me it should be safe to use.

Thanka2 - I may try the way u say oatmeal bath this is the only thing I haven't try so far hopefully the itch skin will go soon.

Wonder will the mark also disappear after give birth ? Or need to put some other special cream ? My body looks horrible feel like a monster

staargrl is offline Registered User
    you can also try aloe-- which may help soothe your skin...

as for the dark marks- these are called sometimes "preganancy masks" and will disappear after birth.

all of these things are as mentioned above-- caused by hormones, usually little boys will do that to us! since their genetic make up is different than a girl's... but it should be better after birth.

hope it gets better and good luck!! :)

Staargrl
    u mean Aloe as a moisture gel to the effected area ? Any idea which brand of Aloe gel is better ? Or I just get any of it from shop ?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    You could also just buy an aloe plant (they are really cheap at any local plant store) and break off pieces and use them.