Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

First time hiring helper - Help!

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    I honestly wouldn't put a lot of weight on helper doing a great job at cleaning, cooking or other household chores(of course nice to have all these for sure, AND my helper happens to possess them all. My perception might be different if otherwise). To me having a caring heart towards young children is most important. People do have different personalities which should be expected and respected, however, he/she must have a good heart to children.

My helper for instance, she came from a broken family and doesn't have a habit to smile at anyone. According to her, 'there is nothing for me to smile about'. A good example would be when a guard opens the door for her, she would say thank you but with a straight face. I don't have a problem at all(you can't force anyone to be happy, right?). But I do notice since she joined us four months ago, she smiles more and more and also more readily than ever.

The reason I didn't have a problem with this is because she adores our kids from the very beginning. Actually the lady who referred her to me rated her child minding skills as 9 out of 10. She sings to them, reads to them, teaches them alphabet, numbers etc. She took all the trouble to get my son up on his feet and walking...And she giggles with them and makes them giggle all the time; she talks to them non-stop. Here is her most recent joke of the month to me: when she saw my son waking up from his nap and ready to eat, she said: oh my BOSS is awake!
    How can I possibly not treat her like part of our family??

My point is, kids need a lot of stimulation/interaction from their main carer for good brain development(I'm not an expert on this though), be it smiles, talks, singings etc. So hopefully my experience above helps a little with whatever value it's worth...
    Last edited by HK2008; 07-14-2009 at 03:29 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    if she is miserable with my baby, i would NOT wait a whole year to decide if she'll work out.

in your release letter, just write that she performed satisfactorily. if anyone calls you, just say that she and your baby didn't bond very well, so you decided to find someone that the baby bonded with better.

i think you are crazy to keep someone around to care for your baby if all they are doing is the bare minimum.

mum32 is offline Registered User
    HK2008: May I ask you a few questions?
    Is your helper married? Does she have kids? What's her experience with kids? Do you believe that some people are born with the adoration for babies / kids?

My helper is single and has no kids. She said she has had a few years experience with kids but I really think her experience is inadequate. Well, that's not a big problem, I feel that if she likes babies and kids then she will be interested to learn from us how to take care of them.

I agree that babies and kids need a lot of stimulation, that's why I am only working part time now as I would like to spend more time with my baby and I am doing all the singing, talking etc. I will be quite concerned if I start to work full time soon.

Actually I think my helper does play with my baby abit, after series of lectures from me on ' how to play with baby and why'. I have bought books and looked in the internet to find the information. Although I have learnt a great deal and shared them with my helper, I begin to feel very tired that I have to train her that way.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mum32 View Post
    HK2008: May I ask you a few questions?
    Is your helper married? Does she have kids? What's her experience with kids? Do you believe that some people are born with the adoration for babies / kids?
    My helper is single and has no kids. She said she has had a few years experience with kids but I really think her experience is inadequate. Well, that's not a big problem, I feel that if she likes babies and kids then she will be interested to learn from us how to take care of the kid
    I think you are right there. My helper is 28 years old and single with no kids. She simply loves children, especially little ones. If your helper is relatively in-experienced in looking after children, you'll need to train her if overall you are happy with her(I mean if she's worth training and keeping). In my view, the most important starting point of whether it'll work out or not is whether she has a good heart/genuine interest towards children.

I do make sure my helper has plenty of materials to use: story books, interesting toys, musical instruments(toy ones), nursery rhymes, flash cards, etc. Hoping you can work out a way with your helper soon on how to take better care of your child!

mum32 is offline Registered User
    Thank you HK2008 for your advice.

I am not sure if my helper has a great interest towards children but she has a good heart and still worth training and keeping at the moment. So I just have to keep her inspired all the time. Having plenty of materials is a good idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12