Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this colic? Grandma said No brest milk will help

carey is offline Registered User

Is this colic? Grandma said No brest milk will help

My almost 6 week old son has been fussy at feeding since around 3 week old. He also starts crying for about one hour before finally settles in for the night then sleeps for 4-5 hours. ( this has been his routine so far anyway). His 3 to 4am feed are usually good. But other feeds during the day he is fussy.

Whatsmore, since a week ago, he has not been sleeping much during the day. His naps are from 20 minutes to less than one hour. He is sometimes awake for more than 2 hours or he has one feed and plays or wide awake until the next one. He sleeps for less then 16 hours, I think.

This feeding, sleeping and crying issues made my mother think that my breastmilk caused all these problems. She is suggesting me to start feeding him formula only.

I said no to her suggestion.
    I read that fomula milk would also caused colic.

I have not been able to persist and breastfeed him exclusively. I express milk and give it to him in a bottle. ( with a helper, this work is made a little easier. I have been feeling guilty about this). He drinks formula two times a day and all the other times are breast milk.

I am thinking the baby might have colic or reflux which might have caused the above problems.

He has a bit of symptoms of this and that. I can't really tell which is it. For example, he cries now throughout the day and between feeds not so much in the night. ( I heard evening and night time crying is more for colic).

Upright holding helps to easy crying. ( this is for colic baby)

He also seems to have a problem of learning how to fall asleep. He is super sensitive to noise. Wakes no a small bit of it.

I have tried holding position, putting him on his tummy and massage his back, giving him a pacifier when he is sleepy. But all the method seem only work for the while. It does not last.

We are going to see a Pediatrician in a week. I just want to see if there are other suggestions for this to easy this week.

Thank you.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Your mother couldn't be more wrong, breastmilk does not cause colic in babies. Do not listen to such uselss advise, breastfeed your baby as long as possible. His sleep maybe getting affected by colic or gas and I hope the Pediatrician is able to give some medicine to help whatever the case maybe. He is only a little baby its nothing strange he will be startled by any strange noise. Is your baby over stimulated? What is his routine like?

sherwes is offline Registered User
    At 6 weeks it is normal for a baby to have unsettled periods. At this age anything that reminds your baby of being in the womb can help to settle him. One thing that I find helpful when my baby has an unsettled period is to swaddle her up tightly and put her in the baby sling in a position where she can touch my skin and hear my heartbeat. The tight swaddle, combined with the closeness to mummy and the movement of me walking around will usually soothe her off to sleep.

Also, if your baby is super sensitive to noise - have you considered putting some loud background noise on in his room. On the advice of my paed I have done this with both of my babies. It's a simple as turning on a fan or window air conditioner. The background noise insulates the baby from sudden loud noises that might startle them. Don't forget that the womb is a VERY noisy place so very young babies are used to constant rythmic noise.

I agree with Carey that you might want to think about whether your baby is overstimulated. With both of my babies they slept and fed a lot better when I keep their stimulation level very low.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that breastfeeding is causing these issues. That's complete crap!!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    It could be colic - colic can strike at any time of the day or night - it's just more common in the evenings.

However it also sounds like my experience of (silent, no vomiting) reflux with my first. Babies often feed well in the night as they are sleepy and more relaxed. My daughter was fine with her dream feed and middle of the night feeds, but would be tense, fussy and very difficult during the day.

Although something you are eating could be effecting your breast milk and causing gas (chocolate, caffeine, dairy?), I totally agree with geomum - switching to formula is NO cure for reflux or colic.

My Ped gave me reflux medication for both my children and we went to a cranial osteopath. They gradually outgrew the need for the medication and at 4 months my son is now fine. I kept them upright for 20 mins after feeding and elevated the head of the cot so they slept raised. My son actually slept in his bjorn rocker on some nights as this seem to make him more comfortable. I also massaged his stomach using the 'I love you' method - here's a video on youtube of someone doing it ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RaMv4smzO4"]YouTube - I love you baby massage[/ame]

Why are you feeling guilty about expressing! Your baby is still getting the nutritional benefit of your milk which is fantastic. Expressing can be tough and supplementing with formula is not a bad thing as it takes a little pressure off.

If he wakes up with every little noise, 'white noise' in his room could help, it's soothing (reminds them of the womb apparently) and screens out some of the general noise of the house. With my daughter we tuned an FM radio in her room to 'between' stations to create the right sound. We still do this even now she's two and she turns the radio on as part of her bedtime routine.

With the napping, nows he's getting older and more mature in his sleep patterns you might need to implement more of a routine and help him understand how to put himself back to sleep when he wakes after one sleep cycle. He shouldn't really be awake longer than 2 hours under 3 months. That said, some babies just need less sleep than others - maybe try a set routine to see if he responds and his napping improves?

Good luck

chrissy2 is offline Registered User
    Hello, my baby is now 1 month old and he is colic also. I have been giving him Gripe water, its the best for babys with colic! It helps the baby with hippcups, gas etc. It hepls them pass the gas. Anways went to my doc on saturday and he told me that the Gripe water is teh best for a colic baby. Go to the pharmacy to get it! Good luck!

PS you mom is wrong about your brest fedding that is causing it!

Thank you ladies for sharing.

I spoke with friends who tried to breastfeed and many of them experienced similar situation like mine. They also get pressure from family to switch to formula. But we just have to insist.

I have been trying the methods suggested. He seems better in the last few days. Sleep better and better at feeds.

I guess there are some good and bad days like us adults.

Since colic is really hard to diagnose, would there be any side affects if we give them medicine when they are just fussy but don't really have colic?

Thank you again.

By the way, my son also has hiccups easily. He is a gassy baby too. I will try to get Gripe water for him.

Thank you chrissy2.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Carey, Infacol and Gripe water do not have any side effects even if your baby does not have gas. My daughters Pediatrician insisted I give her Infacol before every feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast