Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Toddlers and TV

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

"I know American Academy of Pediatrics says no TV till 2 years of age and only 1 hour of educational stuff after 2 years."

I always feel that these people do not actually have kids themselves!

We too don't see an issue with TV and have it on a lot. Miss2 will watch it if it is on Miss4 is not that fussed with it. We have it on Playhouse or NickJr and that is about it (for kids TV). I think many of the shows today are actually educational both emotionally and socially so I try not to read about studies and the like that say otherwise..

carang is offline Registered User

i would have an entirely different take on it if my kids were watching power rangers or GI Joe or something like that. like i said before, so much of hte stuff is educational, i'm surprised at what my son has learned from the tv.

Neha is offline Banned

Now TV'S Baby TV is excellent and it was kids from 0-3 years of age, Our son has learnt so much from it. What we really like about baby tv is that it has no famous characters that kids get addicted to like Mickey, dora etc

geomum is offline Registered User

Thanks for your replies everyone, my daughter has a few favourites only too Micky Mouse, In the night garden and Teletubbies :)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Neha View Post
    Now TV'S Baby TV is excellent and it was kids from 0-3 years of age, Our son has learnt so much from it. What we really like about baby tv is that it has no famous characters that kids get addicted to like Mickey, dora etc
    Haha, what about Harry the Bunny? Man, if my baby got addicted to that bunny I would put a hole in my head.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

My son LOVES harry the bunny and in the night garden. I have to say a lot of the time these programs bring out a deep seated urge to repeatedly bang my head on the wall but I cant deny how much he's benefited from it -- counted 1-2-3 with harry the bunny, jumped for the first time after the iggle piggle song -- ravenously takes control of toothbrush when the tombliboos brush their ' teeth' (they dont even have any!!) etc.

I used to make an effort to sit down with him and watch baby einstein but I dont anymore. I have a bit of chill time on the couch and throw the occasional comment at him - he repeats a lot of words that he hears off of the TV and I know he likes having me there to hear him do that and essentially repeat after him. Having said that, I dont make an effort to limit his time much -- he's very active and a lot of the time listens to the tv whilst he plays. We dont have cbeebies yet so we use In the night garden VCD's which is a handy way of limiting his time if needs be. I dont make an effort to make every session an educational one. For me I've accepted he's a little person of his own and enjoys watching a little tv every now and then just like mummy and daddy. He's not ever interested if there's anything we want to watch and even though we've been very lax about tv he doesnt seem to miss it now as we've just moved to a house and he seems just as thrilled to play in the garden or in the playroom -- not even when he points to the in the night garden magnets on the fridge its a sort of 'oh look, its them' kind of thing. We're probably not going to have a tv for another month or so lets see how long this keeps up for hehehe..

Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Neha View Post
    Wow, I totally agree with this view. My son once in awhile sees Baby First on TV in the mornings while he's eating breakfast but that's not very regular. However, I am pretty anti-mass-marketed toys. I don't have any problem with kids liking toys or even liking popular toys but I'm kind of choosy--I try to avoid buying clothing with name brands printed on the front or Disney characters. I feel like I don't think my family needs to be a marketing tool for a company. Having said that, though, I have an affinity for Sesame Street because it was such a special show to me when I was growing up--I still enjoy watching it! So, I'm more laid-back about that. I'm definitely not a "purest" but I also want my son to like characters for more than just because they are popular--for example, liking Bob the Builder because he is smart and can make things. Etc.

Personally, unless there is something on TV that I want to listen to or I'm home alone, I don't like the TV on because the noise annoys me (I'd rather have music on in the background so we can dance around and have fun to that) so our TV stays off for most of the day. We also don't have any cable or satellite channels so we only watch local channels (ATV & Pearl) so for most of the day you can watch the stock report update with classical music playing or other random programs or programs in Mandarin Chinese or Cantonese. The only thing that my son requests at 1 1/2-years old is Elmo. So, we watch videos of Elmo from the Sesame Street website.

At that time, he sits on my lap and we watch together. He usually watches Elmo when he's feeling tired. The longest session he's ever made it through was 30 minutes of Elmo's World but that was when he was sick with the flu last year. Usually if he goes for 10 minutes we're pretty impressed--then he's ready to run around again.

Only having one child, even though he can be a handful, it's a bit easier to manage, I think than if you have more than one and need to distract them in order to get something done. If I'm working on something, I usually try to set my son up with something to do nearby me. We have rules about him going into the bathroom and kitchen (they are both small and not baby-proofed so he's not allowed in there) so he will sit at the doorway with some sort of toy or just something random to keep him busy. If I have to go up to our roof to hang up clothes, I either take him with me or put him in his crib to play for a few minutes. So far, TV hasn't proved very helpful as a distraction for us.

carang is offline Registered User

I don't mind Mickey mouse or cinderella... but i WILL NOT TOLERATE HELLO KITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is absolutely NO HELLO KITTY in my house! LOL...i just think it's the ugliest thing ever~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast