Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wriggling around when breastfeeding

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your suggestions csj - I tried laying down to feed him tonight but had the same problem. I've tried the burping and I always change his nappy before a feed too. As the day has wore on today, each feed has just gotten worse and worse. I feel like he is getting frustrated because the flow is too slow or there may not be enough? Anyways, my husband ended up supplementing him with a bit of formula tonight at the last feed before his bed time because he just didn't seem satisfied after I breastfed him. Hopefully, the problem will fix itself soon.....

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    But if you`re worried about whether you have enough milk for him, feeding him the bottle won`t help you out - supply and demand and all.
    How often is he eating?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Have a look through the information on Nursing Strikes and see if you think this could be the cause of your problem. I know your baby isn't refusing to breastfeed but rather is being fussybut that could just be his way of doing it.

A nursing strike is when the baby suddenly refuses to breastfeed for some reason. Often the reason can be linked with something that is going on in your life, like stress from traveling, having visitors, moving home, starting work or leaving the baby for longer periods, etc. or with something in the baby's life, like illness, teething, etc. And sometimes it is difficult to work out exactly why.

Nursing strikes can be frightening and upsetting to both you and your baby, but they are almost always temporary. Most nursing strikes are over, with the baby back to breastfeeding, within a few days.

There is an article called, My Baby Is Suddenly Refusing to Nurse. Does That Mean It's Time to Wean? at LLLI | FAQ on Nursing Strikes that you may find useful. I also have a pamphlet called How to Handle a Nursing Strike which I can post you if you send me a PM with your contact details. There are also some mothers' stories for the LLLI magazine, New Beginnings, where babies have had nursing strikes at LLLI | Nursing Strikes.

If you do not think this is the problem and you are really concerned about the flow of your milk then I would recommend that you supplement with a lactation aid rather than a bottle. As giving bottles will encourage the baby to want a fast flow. See the thread How to increase your breast milk.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Thanks for the info Sarah - but I don't think it is a nursing strike as he does eat, just for a super short period of time until he gets frustrated and wriggles about - sometimes even crying out in frustration. I thought by now (four days into this problem), it would get better, but each feed is now turning into a battle with my son - though at least he seems to be satisfied after the feed. I'm getting more frustrated with each feed also....not really sure what to do.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Have you tried to just let him stop feeding when he starts to fuss?
    Often babies this age are finished within five minutes. If he really didn't get enough milk he knows how to ask for more so I'd let him lead the way and not worry about whether he has enough because he will not stave himself.

Remember that the only way to tell if the baby is getting enough milk is from his output not his behaviour. We are looking for six wet nappies (one wet nappy = 3 tablespoons of liquid) in every 24 hours. We are also looking for weight increase of around 60 to 110 grams per week.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hi, my baby (4 months) only feeds for 5 mins or so and only takes one side. After 5 mins he just 'swipes' at the breast a lot (a problem outlined in another recent post) and I stop at this point.

I've been giving him one feed at the time he would normally have it, then another 'top up' before he goes down for all his naps/bed time. That way even though it's short bursts, he's getting volume.

Have you tried pumping to see what amount you get? It will be less than the baby would suck out but might indicate if it's a supply issue (or rule that out as a problem if you get a lot). Also then you can supplement with that breast milk instead of formula and keep up with your the baby's needs.

joannek is offline Registered User
    i'm also having a similar problem. my bb is 4mths. she swipes at the breast after 3 mins (usually during day feeds) on the side that has more milk or cries on the side that the let down is slow. i try to compress around the areola to stimulate a faster let down & it sometimes helps. also i also stop once she starts swiping or coming on & off thhe breast, it's annoying that she's pulling at the nipple & it hurts. so i just finish the feed, and she seems to be full enough. if not, she'll always ask for another feed after an hour or so.

Thanks Sarah and LeahH. Just like you said Sarah, I've decided to just let him eat until he fusses. It will save us both from frustration and too much grief. It's just been difficult for me the past few days to see my baby cry out in frustration after only 5 minutes on one side. Each time he finishes a shortened feed though, he has not indicated to me that he needs more. He is also getting at least 6 wet diapers a day and at least one big poo. So I guess I really shouldn't worry so much.

LeahH - thanks for letting me know that you 4 month old only feeds 5 min or so because that is getting exactly to be my situation. I do pump sometimes, but I can never get much out - early in the morning I can get more, but as the day goes on, my pumping because less and less successful. I do have a small stash in the freezer though so I am planning to supplement with that if need be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast