Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Travelling with a 3 month old

steveholy is offline Registered User
    hong kong

Travelling with a 3 month old

We will soon be on a long flight with our 3 month old daughter for the first time. I am trying to learn what I can do to reduce her (possible) discomfort due to pressure changes during landing and take off. I heard it helps their ears if they can suck/suckle. However, our exclusively-breastfed baby does not take a pacifier or a bottle. I can put her on the breast but I am not sure if this is possible, or if it is safe. We are bringing a carseat and booked her a separate seat for her. Any advice? I am also curious if it is really possible that pressure changes would cause health problems in babies' ears.
    Many thanks.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I have breastfed my babies many times on flights on take off and descent (and obviously during the flight so they don't go hungry!!). I've just done it in my seat, with maybe a muslin over my shoulder to cover (though the more flights I did the more comfortable I was to feed without a cover). Some airlines have a belt strap for the baby, so I've just done that up and started feeding as we start heading down the runway, and again when I feel the plane start to descend before landing. Btw, I've never taken a car seat on a plane. It's one extra thing to carry and I've often had to do the (9-hour) flight by myself.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    I just did a flight recently with my baby. I timed it so that I could breastfeed during take off and landing. But during one of the times we definitely came down quickly, as my ears were popping, but baby seemed fine. I didn`t have the extra seat - he sat on my lap and the airline didn`t have a strap for him - I just held him and basically did my thing.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    my two kids never had problems with their ears on the flight, but when my son was 2, he was susceptable to ear infections and contracted one after 36 hours of travelling. he got a prescription for anti-biotics and had jsut finished the course and it was time to go home again, where upon, he got another ear infection. so, once home, another course of anti-biotics.

thankfully, he hasn't gotten another one while travelling since.

my daughter never had any problems either with the pressure changes.

ps> you shouldn't ever have problems on take off as the pressure is decreasing... it's landing that causes the problems.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    Same as everyone, I just bf my boy during take off and landing, and it was very fine, just ask one more pillow to put under your arm so you are confortable. We just asked for the seats with the bassinet and he used to sleep most of the time.

louisouis is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I have travelled a few times with my baby, and I always offer a bottle but sometimes he just does not want to have anything to do with the bottle and just screams and screams. I have been told that if the baby does that it is just another way of releasing air pressure (just a really unpopular option) so just hang in there.

lylee is offline Registered User
    traveled with my baby last week (she's 9 months) & no problem at all during take-off landing. she didn't take the bottle or scream/cry, but was still fine.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    I've breastfeed during off and landing, but also had times when it didnt' work out timing wise and haven't and had no problems with ear pain. I have bought a seat for the baby, so I am not sure if you do have a seat for the baby if you will be required to strap them in during take off and landing.

It will go easier than you think,travelling with a toddler is the real nightmare.