Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

moving to UK....pls. help!!

karen bt is offline Registered User
    Hi there,
    Totally agree with all that's been said on your replies here. Clothing - I am going to be stocking up when I return in a couple of weeks as you do get, what I call, 'value packs' of kids clothes in supermarkets etc. I actually find it a bit difficult to get things for eldest boy here, now and again get bits at Stanley. Also online shopping, more choice!
    The only thing I would say about taking helper back to the UK, a friend of ours from here considered it, but thought about the 'social life' aspect of the helper back in the UK, whereas in HK , there is a massive community here on their day off, would they be lonely? Only a thought.
    Schools, yes state schools are dependable on where you live, once you know where you are going to live, check the OFSTED reports online for schools in the area.
    Good luck with everything, I'm sure I'll see you in the playground before you go!
    Karen

mushi is offline Registered User
    dear slamdunk, can your helper provide me with contacts of her friends in UK? maybe i could find one out there directly.....is it possible to take a helper who has not worked for u out here as my present helper is not interested in moving there.....anyone done this before?

any expat website like this for UK expats?

thanks everyone for all your suggestions and advice.....i am not sure about the london map but what would be a good place to live in considering we have small children and the office is in Canary Wharf.....

also if my husband's office is paying for the children;s education would u suggest putting them in a State run school or a private school? is the state run one equally good? what is the diff in their education?

thank you everyone once again......pls. keep it going....

Twinsmammie is offline Registered User
    You can try the postings at the local library notice boards (maybe the ones in Central London) to find domestic help. I found a "mummy helper" via the library notice boards.

hi ladies, after all yoru advice and meeting up with consultants we have narrowed down the area list to WIMBLEDON, HAMPSTEAD, GREENICH....any ideas about these places? which one would be ideal form a family point of view? good schools, etc....i am looking at private schools only....thanks

karen bt is offline Registered User
    hi mushi, can only comment on one area in your list - Greenwich (was born there and lived in the area for 23 years!) it's a great, vibrant town, a lovely big park, near the river thames, the london marathon once a year, museums, great restaurants, VERY close to Canary Wharf, central London, fab market on a sunday, river boat trips, close to the london eye - i could go on!!!
    schools, don't know enough about private schools here, but check this website out
    Greenwich independent private schools list top best find reviews

hope this helps
    karen

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I lived in Greenwich for 8 years while we were in London and loved the area. My husband also worked in Canary Wharf so its a quick commute. Canary wharf also has a great shopping centre so you don't really need to go into Central London as everything is there. There are cinemas, lots of bars and restuarants and gyms. The park at Greenwich is fantastic and they have a great farmers market every weekend. There are some great walks along the river and even a city farm at Mudchute. In winter there is usually an ice rink in the maritime museum. Blackheath is close by which is a lovely little village with parks, shops and restaurants. At North Greenwich there is a huge Sainsbury's, cinemas and B&Q. You can easily take a bus into central london, or the underground, and they have the Docklands Light Rail to Canary Wharf or its an easy bike ride.

Wimbledon and Hampstead will mean a long commute to Canary Wharf, at least an hour and I wouldn't want to rely on the London Underground for that every day.

Sorry I can't comment on schools, but check out the link that Karen bt posted

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    Sorry, I can't give you any contacts. I understand the Filipino community hangs out at Victoria Station at weekends (much like they hang out in Central on Sundays here) so could look for newsagents there to post ads.

thanks karena and karma1, your information certainly helps.
    we have been receiving great reviews about both greenwich and wimbledon....we have relatives staying at teddington so in favour of wimbledon which is closer but like u said greenwich is also prefrred due to proximity of my hubby's office........so let;s see.....would u know which area gives better value for money in terms of apartment/house rents?

anyone can give comments about hampstead, or west hampstead?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast