Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rash around baby`s mouth allergy?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan

Rash around baby`s mouth allergy?

My 6 month old has been on solids for 5 weeks now, and started fruits/veg about 2-3 weeks ago. Now he has a rash around his mouth, which has been getting more and more pronounced with every feed. It`s in some splotches and also some pimply type dots.
    I`m confused about what it could be from, as it got pretty bad after his carrot meal, but he started with carrots weeks ago and there was nothing...

Is this an allergy to a food? I also googled and read that it could be from the food remaining on his face while feeding. But I don`t know. I also started giving him formula (a Japanese brand) to dilute the rice and oats cereals. It`s so confusing, I feel I have to start over again.
    In case it matters, he`s had carrots, peas, potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, pear, apple, banana, peach, and papaya - all first stage foods only.
    What about your babies?

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    hi - it does sound like an allergy. did you introduce each new food 3 days apart? i think that's the easiest way to try and identify what the allergy is caused by.
    its only been a couple of weeks so probably a good idea to go back to basics and try each food for 2 or 3 days and then try another for the next 2 or 3 days and see how you get on. if you suspect carrots then maybe give plain rice cereal for a day or two and then try carrots for 2 or 3 days. if that's not the culprit work your way through. maybe work backwards from how you introduced them to start with if this is a recent reaction.
    he's only 6 months old so don't be too worried about starting from scratch. if you discover the cause quickly you'll be back on track before you know it. at worst you are a few weeks behind where you hoped to be.

musicalmama is offline Registered User
    I agree with aussie mum. My 5 mos baby has the same rash but they're all over her neck and chest (she's drooling like a faucet too which I thought was a culprit), but we're just giving her a cream prescribed by the doctor that seemed to help. My mother in law even told me to feed her one new food for the week to see if she has any reaction.

Baby, Children, Maternity, Family Photographer
    Welcome to Garthe Photo Arts, Hong Kong

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    Tin Hau
    My son also had rashes around the mouth but we found out it was from the pacifier being in the mouth for too long after he fell asleep. As soon as he falls into his deep slumber, we took out the paci and the rashes gradually went away. Also this humid weather in HK doesn't help. Make sure no food residue is left around the mouth. If he's started drooling already, keep a wet towel nearby and wipe regularly.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    My son always got a rash round his mouth after eating parsnip. My friend's son got the same thing after eating potato. A lot of babies can have some sensitivities (rather than allergies) to root vegetables. They usually grow out of it. But if you're worried, please check with your GP/paediatrician.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    South District
    happened to my 10 month old too...all of a sudden rash for no where and from what I don't know....what I did was just keep the mouth area clean her mouth as she eats so there is no food left behind and to keep her mouth area dry and clean after each meal. I minimized the variety of food until the rash was completely gone before reintroducing a larger variety of basically the same foods she was eating beforehand. the rash cleared itself. good luck

lylee is offline Registered User
    happened to my 9 month old too when she had avocado & a babynat teething biscuit. hives broke out all around her mouth about 10 minutes after eating those food, but it subsided after around 30mins. i took her for an allergy testing in the end, the doctor is called adrian wu at prince's building.

sillybill is offline Registered User
    Same happened to my son few months back, in the end my doctor , Dr Lily Wong pin pointed it to several foods after asking me to keep a food diary,carrot sticks main culprit!!!!!!!! I think saliva also aggravated it. It cleared up anyway within a few months. Since the rash was not too bad, she advised me to hold off having any allergy testing as she said it was expensive and not absolutely neccessary cause the reaction was not bad and it was common for children to get this as they discover new foods I was given a cream to clear the inital rash and was advised to hold off carrots for a few months and gradually introduce it , which was so right cause she loves carrots so much now and the rash never came back either! I trust her cause shes very practical with her advice and does not like to give out too many medicines, shes from uk and she has 2 kids of her own, so understands my challenges when I bring the kids to see her!I'm ashamed to say often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast