Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pregnant and breastfeeding?

gummybear is offline Registered User

Pregnant and breastfeeding?

I just found out that I'm pregnant with #2. #1 is only 8 months old and still breastfed. Are doctors over here supportive of nursing while pregnant? And what about tandem nursing (where you continue to nurse all through pregnancy, and then after #2 is born continuing to nurse #1)? Has anyone here done that? What do you think about it? I haven't really decided exactly what to do yet because I just found out I'm pregnant. But I think my first will probably be only around 16 months when my second was born - and I had planned to try to nurse until around 2 years.

Also, I know that home births aren't really done over here - but if I want to labor at home (maybe with a doula here?) and deliver in a hospital, but be released to come home the day after the birth - or as soon after the birth as possible, which hospital would be a good one to go to? Because of my living situation, I could potentially go to POW, Pamela Youde or QM (we will probably be moving before #2 is born...) - or I might consider a private hospital as well. But I definitely want a private doctor regardless of where the baby will be born.

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    I cant help you with the BF questions but I may be able to help with hospitals.
    I gave birth to my daughter on a Monday night and was home by Tuesday lunchtime. I gave birth at QM. I know this is not the norm (usually stay 3-5 days) but they had no problem with it, just had to wait for DD to see paed (I had a very straight forward pregnancy, natural delivery and baby had no problems).

babylicious is offline Registered User
    Doctors are generally not supportive of BF while pregnant. I BFed until the day my #2 was born w/the support of a dr who has now left.
    Try Sally Ferguson.
    Talk to LLL about Tandem nursing. My daughter was 16 mos when I delivered the second. She nursed that morning, then I was hospitalised for a few days and when I got home, she didn't ask.
    Good luck and congratulations! Feel free to PM me.

geomum is offline Registered User
    I was breastfeeding my 16 month old till last month. I weaned her after finding out I was pregnant with our second child. I could have gone on for a few more months but I wanted her to get over the breast long before the second one came, didn't want them competing for a suckle or elder one getting jealous to see the younger one feeding. I've read its much harder to wean at the age of 2 than 1 since memory and association are much stronger then. Secondly I want my body's energy and resources to nurture the little one and not make milk for my daughter who doesn't need it all that much. She is happily drinking cow's milk (Besides eating cheese and yogurt) since she's been weaned. Good luck with your decision :)
    Last edited by geomum; 07-14-2009 at 07:42 AM.

gummybear is offline Registered User
    Nic - my first was born at QM and I wanted an early discharge, but they kept putting me off and I ended up being there from Thursday, baby was born on Friday, and I was discharged on Monday. How insistent do you have to be with them? And did you leave against medical advice? Or they were fine with it? Do you think it's easier to leave early with your second child as opposed to the first?

Geomum - I think if my first was older than a year, I'd consider weaning - but I want to bf at least until a year old. I'll probably see how it goes and if it's really tough, I might wean before #2 is born.

I went to Dr Ghosh just to get it confirmed - I could get in to see him the fastest, out of the three doctors that I called. And he seemed nice, also he didn't say anything about weaning. I'll see how he goes...

Does anyone know if any of the private hospitals allow you to deliver there and then leave the next day? All that I've seen online is the 3 day packages etc...

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I don't know for sure but would have thought that as long as you are fine and the baby is fine, the private hospitals would let you go home early. They would still charge you for 3 days though.

On your question of a private doctor delivering at a public hospital, I think the answer is no unless you have a private room option at the public hospital. I went private so can't confirm for sure. My doctor only delivers at Matilda or Adventist so expect that if I ended up at QM with any complications, I'd be handled by the doctors there.

SB2

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    Gummybear- I did not have to be too insistent (other than my husband turning up with baby car seat) and we left with their blessing. They did ask why we wanted to go so early (I told them I wanted my husband around more and I wasnt getting much rest on a ward with 5 other people) but they fully respected our decision.
    They were really helpful and booked us an appointment at a gvmt clinic for 2 days later and the Dr called me on the day in between to check we were ok.

Cant comment on whether it will be easier or harder to get discharged quickly with no.2 as I only have 1!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    As a second time mum I was given the opportunity to leave Matilda after the first night as they were incredibly busy with lots of first time mothers. They offered a refund, but may not if it was your suggestion not theirs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast