Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Primary School search

fearofflying is offline Registered User

Primary School search

so i have a question for you guys... if you could help me out somewhat it would be a great help. basically any information you might have could be useful.

i'm helping one of my cousins get enrolled into primary school. basically, the situation is that he's filipino, so doesn't speak much chinese. he was enrolled in a local school until p.3 but because of some mixup his place at that school wasn't renewed. he has been homeschooled for a year and now his parents are looking to enroll him again at p.4 level.

we're looking for a place that's affordable but with decent education and ideally where he could learn a bit of chinese. a type of school that's a bit more open and accepting and easy to communicate with would be good too...

if you can tell me anything about hk schools that might help i'd be really grateful :)

thanks!

wwong68 is offline Registered User
    R u looking for a local or international school?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I believe if he has an ID card in HK he can go to local school near where he lives.

International schools are going to be much harder to get into as most of them require a good level of English.

Sorry I can't give you more advice than that.

Also, I believe that most schools have closed applications for the Sept 09 year which is going to cut down your choices dramatically for international schools.

carang is offline Registered User
    not to mention the fact that many of the international schools are NOT affordable...

there is a school run by the gov't that is mostly for "ethnic minorities". i can't remember the name of it. but i suggest that you contact the EDB for advice. i'm sure then can point you in the right direction.

fearofflying is offline Registered User
    either local or international school is okay, but looking to pay max. $5000/month and most international schools cost more than that...

his english is fine, and he has a HKID so that shouldn't be a problem

and you're right about most of the deadlines being passed... right now i'm just calling up places and asking if they have any vacancies left.

i came across a couple of ethnic minority schools (Li Chung Uk - South Asian & Filipino and Poinsettia - Nepali) but don't those provide a lesser-quality education compared to the typical local/international schools?

thanks!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    actually, the school curriculum for all govnt run schools are standardized, the quality of teachers will of course vary from school to school.

i'm assuming your nephew's chinese is good since he managed to go to G3 level....calling up is the best bet now unfortunately....

sorry not really of much help...

rani is offline Administrator
    The school for ethnic minorities is called Ellis Kadoorie

SEKPS - Main

carang is offline Registered User
    you could try the KOREAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL~ English stream. their fees are more reasonable. they have overseas qualified teachers, class sizes are smaller and there is no debenture.