Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Procedure for hiring helper already in HK....?

HappyV is offline Registered User

Procedure for hiring helper already in HK....?

If I hire a helper from inside HK, who has either just finished, or is about to finish their contract, what is the time frama/procedure with immigration?
    If we sign a contract, do they still need to return to their home while their new visa is processed? Or can they stay once we have signed the papers, before they have been processed by immigration?
    We haven't done this before - and time is running out!
    Help!

rani is offline Administrator
    I believe it takes around 4 weeks if you hire a helper who is already in HK.

The helper doesn't need to go home while the visa is being processed. I believe you can start the paperwork a month before her visa expires. If the helper doesn't want go home before starting the new contract, Immigration will give her two 1 year visas, and she will need to go home at some point during the first year.

I thought you were planning on hiring your current helper's sister?

We're actually going through this ourselves. Our helper is getting married this summer and is retiring. We were hoping to hire her sister, but she wasn't able to get her passport sorted. So instead looks like we're going to hire a friend who's here in HK.

Good luck!

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Hi rani - thanks for answering so quickly.
    We were planning on hiring her sister, but her sister's husband has just been killed in a motorcycle accident. She doesn't want to leave her daughter so soon, which I completely understand. She asked if we could wait a couple of months, but we're not in a position to do so. We need someone for the start of the school year in late August. Time is running out, so we're looking to hire from within HK.
    Just one clarification:
    If I find a helper who only has a week left on her visa - what is the situation, then? Can she stay in HK while we process the papers? Can immigration give her an extension of stay if she has a signed contract that has not yet been processed by Immigration?

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    When I did mine in Nov, she were allowed to stay in HK whilst waiting for the visa to be issued.

Oh no! That's so sad.

Finished contract helpers only have 2 weeks to find a new employer, and it takes 4 weeks to process their new contracts. I assume they are granting an extension of stay, but you probably need to submit all the paperwork to immigration before they will consider it.

xxJJxxx is offline Registered User
    Dear Rani,

Do u happen to have any referrals for Live-out Helpers? Reading from the threads, i believe many are desperate ( i'm one of them too..) seeking for these info.too. Please help. Thanks!

xJ,

Sorry I don't know of any live-out helpers. Have you tried the GeoExpat Classifieds:

Domestic Helper Available - Hong Kong Classifieds

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hi, just to clarify, the helper can stay past the 14 days restriction after her existing contract expires, while waiting for her new visa to be approved right? Do we need a special approval for that?

My helper's contract ends on 31 August, she has submitted the new contract we signed and her application for a new visa. They have asked her to come back for an interview on the 11 Sept, can she stay in hk after 14 Sept (looking at the dates, i doubt the visa will be approved before then), or does she have to go back to the Philippines.

Thank you in advance.