Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Naming mixed babies: Would you use both cultures? e.g. adding a Chinese middle-name

Voters
12. This poll is closed
  • Yes, because the baby should have both heritage

10 83.33%
  • Yes, other reasons

0 0%
  • Depends on whether I could find a name that suits

2 16.67%
  • No

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Living in Oz, giving birth in HK

stagsrubes is offline Registered User
    Well, that's the thing... mum is telling me that when it's your first, the midwives tend to be a bit more 'strict' (5-day stay for 1st born, 3-day for 2nd baby back in the 70s)... But hey, if bub needs to be in a special care - that's more important than mum going home early!

Glad to know you get BF time within 30mins... I think I can live without the baby being put on my tummy... but not without the 'bonding' time.

OK... now I only have to convince hubby that he will be more important to me in these first few days to bring me yummy street food than to bond with the bub before my HK childbirth plan can come true!!! He prefers the childbirth here in Oz as you pretty much get to take bub home right away, but I want the baby to have some HK 'legacy' and this will also mean no birth certificate that state 'born in Canberra'!!! LOL...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You'll probably also need to be in Hong Kong for long enough afterward to get a passport back to Australia. That would be quickest probably if you get a HKSAR passport - but I don't know how long that would take... some places issue temporary passports as well... when my daughter was born, it took about 6 weeks to get her Australian passport, and we were trying to get everything done really quickly...

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If you want to have the baby delivered on to your tummy and want alone time with just you, your baby and your husband afterwards - write a birth plan and ask for it. I gave birth 22 years ago in Queen Mary and even then a birth plan went a long way and I got what I asked for. But if you don't ask then you'll only get the standard policy.

I am shocked that only about 10% of mothers write a birth plan and so don't have a say in what happens in hospital. One of my friends had 20 copies of her birth plan printed and gave a copy to everyone she met in the public system - so there could not be the excuse of them not knowing.

Generally I find that midwives want to give the mother what she asks for whether they agree with it or not. So it is worth making your views known. Also remember to add information about after the birth - rooming-in, breastfeeding on demand, etc. As if the hospital has issues with it you find out earlier rather than at the birth.

Good luck with everything,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    HKSAR does not allow one to hold dual passports...as a Canadian, I was unable to get a HKSAR myself, though I'm a permanent resident and have been living here for 25 years.

Getting a HKSAR passport is easy...you have to do the birth registration first, which takes a day (if you bring all the correct documents)

GovHK: Registration of a Birth

and then with that you can apply for a passport...if I recall correctly it takes about 2 weeks.

GovHK: HKSAR Passport

stagsrubes is offline Registered User
    Hi nicolejoy and lesliefu, thanks! Didn't think about the new kiddo will need travel doc!!! :) Leslie, I am an Australian citizen but also hold a HKSAR passport... may be it is the Canadian side that do not allow dual? I emailed HK Immig today about the Right of Abode and citizenship status for my future bubs... will post the response when I got it! I am worry about whether the bub will be consider as Chinese descent... (being half-Chinese)

Good to know it will take less than a month to get the baby's doco... I suppose I would not be going anywhere for the 1st month... I think we will worry about the Oz passport when we returned.

Hi LLL_Sarah, wow! Very, very glad to know a birth plan was taken seriously 22 years back!!!
    We are definitely writing a birth plan and hubby swore that he will try his best to make sure it is adhere to... (bless him, I hope the midwives in QMH understand his aussie accents!) Part of me is worried that a birth plan will not be taken seriously, as the general perception of giving birth in HK (from this forum) is that HK is still a bit conservative (compares to the west) and thus I am worry about the midwives' & docs' altitude of 'we know what best for you'. But I am now much more confident and we shall be very, very insistent (and clear but polite) on getting what we want.

Thank you so much for all the advices... my dream is coming true!!!

geomum is offline Registered User
    Stagsrubes, people can have varying experiences at QM from the very best like Nicolejoy to totally horrid for someone like me. In my opinion if its a normal labour and baby & mommy are feeling great they will go along with your birthplan but there maybe situations where they will do as they please like in my case. Also depends on how busy they are on a particualr day and which nurses/ doctors are working on you. Moreover they don't discuss it with you but inform you what they are going to do, they went totally against my birth plan. Even after my daughter was born our experience was very unpleasant. You should do a search on Queen Mary on this forum to be more informed. For our second baby we'll be paying 100k+ from our pockets to go private but not going back to QM ever!!!
    Last edited by geomum; 07-15-2009 at 05:51 PM.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Oh I wouldn't say that my experience was "the very best" - my labour and delivery weren't too bad... I liked how they did allow us some time in the delivery ward... but I DIDN'T like how they took the baby to special care for observation - in my opinion, it was unnecessary and just added to my stress and I don't think it was that beneficial for the baby... although IIIFFF there was a problem (maybe a 0.1% chance or something), I guess it would have been a good thing they were so cautious. They also fed the baby formula when I asked them not to. And I didn't have the most pleasant stay there either... But there was a good range of good and not so good...

carang is offline Registered User
    no, it's the HKSAR that doesn't allow dual nationality (to be perfectly correct, it is CHINA that doesn't allow it). there is no such thing as a HK NATIONAL, only china national. the HKSAR passport is for chinese citizens of hk with right of abode. if you DO have a second passport and are picked up in hk doing something illegal, your second passport is only viewed as a "travel document"... you would not be deported to your other country, because technically you are a citizen of hk. you would not be allowed consular assistance from your other country as again, you are a citizen of hk.

canada, on the other hand, recognises dual nationality (at least with certain other countries ie. UK)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast