Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

When to Shampoo baby's hair

piper is offline Registered User

When to Shampoo baby's hair

At what age did you start to shampooing your little one's hair? My little one is 8 weeks? Can I start?

If so, do you have a shampoo recommendation?

Thanks for all your help.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    They started at birth in the hospital. He had a fair bit of hair. I continued it but just not everyday. Now it`s every day since he`s 6 months and it`s hot and sweaty. I use Johnson and Johnson No More Tears, but when it runs out I will switch to another no more tears brand.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    Both of mine had their first wash within days (and, as PP said, while in hospital). I then washed every 7-10 days.

I guess it depends on how much hair you baby has. Both of mine had a very healthy amount of hair (DD2 had her first hair cut at 4 months!) so I would use Johnsons Top to Toe and then as they got older I switched to Johnsons Shampoo and Conditioner. At 14 months we introduced conditioner (Johnsons used to make a stand alone conditioner but have not been able to find it in a while).

We now use Gaia shampoo and conditioner or Curash (which I am really liking at the moment because of its musk stick smell)!

Still only have a hair wash once a week - unless food, paint, sand, playdough gets into it. :rolling

dtb
    dtb is offline Registered User
    What we did is mixing the baby body shampoo (those does not need rising) into the tub and wash his hair with a towel. That is exactly what we learnt from Matilda and we started washing his hair since day 1.

geomum is offline Registered User
    I washed my daughter's hair since she was born. She had a lot of hair since she was a baby. Used to wash them everyday (I think it does help to prevent cradle cap) till few months ago now every 2- 3 days or after a swim or if she gets sweaty after outdoor play. We tried many shampoos Mustela, Healthy times, Eco baby and Gaia. My favourite is Eco baby :)

reei is offline Registered User
    i think i started when she is a few months old, and started sweating. i use sebamed bb shampoo. before this , just olive oil + water.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    We washed our son's hair every time we gave him a bath and we started giving him a bath at least once every other day when he came home from the hospital.

When choosing a baby shampoo it's pretty important to choose something that's not toxic to your baby. I find Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database to be pretty helpful for finding out what exactly is in the products we use every day and how good/bad they are for us.

Here is a search for the popular Johnson and Johnson's No More Tears shampoo which reveals that because of the chemicals used in the shampoo (you can find out the specific components of the shampoo and what they do to your body) are moderately hazardous (on a scale of low to high hazard) to the human body. Also remember that a baby's skin is very sensitive and that we can actually absorb chemicals through our skin.

Johnson and Johnson actually doesn't have the safest products out there--some of their products were recently taken off store shelves in Taiwan because the level of toxicity was too high.

Here are my recommendations for shampoos/soaps to use with your baby.

1. J.R. Liggett's Old-Fashioned Bar Shampoo

I am not sure if you can buy this in Hong Kong but you probably can buy it online and it comes in a small cube so having it shipped shouldn't cost much--you could buy an entire shoebox of it and each cube is the equivalent of a bottle of liquid soap. Lathers up beautifully. Smells nice. Comes wrapped in simple paper so very little waste to throw away.

2. Sakura Honey Soap from Japan. I've bought this soap in several different local dispensaries. The bar I'm holding in my hand right now cost $32 HKD and will last for about 2-3 months as long as its put on a dish that doesn't sit in the shower where it can get wet and "melt." Although this soap is meant for use on the body, I also use it on my son's hair--I lather up a bit, rub it through his hair and rinse. It's a light, simple soap that avoids a lot of the toxicity of most shampoos.

3. Burt's Bees. Burt's Bees is pH balanced, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate free, paraben free and phthalate free.

You can get Burt's Bees in several places including some Mannings stores. I think that I last saw a supply counter at Mannings in the IFC building. The products are a bit expensive but I have bought one bottle of More Moisture Raspberry & Brazil Nut Conditioner and it has lasted over 6 months--I only use it on my son so the product lasts for a long time.

Hope some of this information is helpful.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Here is the story on Johnson and Johnson from Xinhua:

Chain Pulls Johnson & Johnson Products in Chemical Debate

Here's a link to the J.R. Liggett online store:

JR Liggett

These are the benefits of using JR Liggett's:

# It's made entirely from pure 100% natural oils.
    # It contains NO animal products, or preservatives.
    # It doesn't strip hair of its natural oils.
    # It makes a luxuriously thick lather.
    # It rinses out clean and easily.
    # It's especially good for permed or colored hair.
    # It gives your hair body, and manageability.
    # It leaves your hair soft, healthy and smelling clean.
    # It's great for TRAVELING, OR BACKPACKING.
    # 100% Biodegradable with minimal packaging.
    # No Petroleum Based Detergents.
    # No Sodium Laurel Sulfate or DEA.
    Last edited by thanka2; 07-16-2009 at 08:56 PM.