Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How Many Times Does Your Baby Wake in the Night?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

How Many Times Does Your Baby Wake in the Night?

I thought this might be an interesting thread, at least for me, a very exhausted mom of a 6 month old who still wakes to feed like a newborn!

# of Wakes: 1-3 at random times

Why: To nurse

Breast or bottle or both? Only breast - refuses bottle

Why do you think your baby wakes/sleeps through? I think he wakes so often because I nursed him to bed from the beginning, and even sometimes during the day I do it for naps. I haven`t been very strict on routines, just loose ones and they seem to change too often:( Or just when I thought I had a good routine going, something would change. Andmaybe he doesn`t drink enough during the day. Anyway, I think I created this little night nursing monster myself.

Please, Moms, share your experiences with your current babies or when they were babies.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    Hi - This worked for me.
    I would time how long I nursed for, say it was 5 minutes. The next night, I would only nurse for 4 minutes say for 3 nights and then 3 minutes etc etc. This way, my baby was more hungry during the day.

Have you started solids yet?

nino is offline Registered User

# of Wakes: 1-3, usually at midnight and 4.30, sometimes more, sometimes less

Why: Unsure - she is still sleeping in our room (in a crib) so it could be us waking her, or she may just want to nurse as she has gotten quite used to it

Breast or bottle or both? Only breast

Why do you think your baby wakes/sleeps through?
    She wakes and nursing her gets her back to sleep straight away. In the middle of the night, I just go with it as I'm too tired to do much else. I think I could use other methods to put her back to sleep (rocking or other comforting) but its just been so easy to get her to sleep by nursing. I have always nursed her to sleep at bedtime.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

# of wakes: Sometimes once (at 4 or 5am), but most of the time sleeps through from 10pm until 6/6:30am.

Why: I started feeding him a bottle of formula or EBM at the 9:30pm feed at 7 weeks. In the beginning he took 4 oz, then increased to 5 oz and now increased to 6oz. More food in his tummy = more sleep I believe. I usually feed formula though because don't pump enough EBM out for him.

Breast or bottle: Breast for all meals of day except 9:30pm feed. However, next week I go back to work so will give him bottle twice during the day (including 9:30pm feed) and then breast the rest of the time.

Why do you think baby wakes/sleeps through: Probably because he has a lot to eat at his 9:30pm feed and perhaps he is more tired at night because he sleeps less during the day? But I am not sure about the latter reason....

reei is offline Registered User

# of Wakes: i am so sleepy, i don't remember

Why: To nurse

Breast or bottle or both? Only breast

Why do you think your baby wakes/sleeps through? hungry or needs comfort/ cuddling

carang is offline Registered User
    4.5 year old boy... usually sleeps through the night but recently discovered MONSTERS and being afraid of the dark... now wakes 1-5 times per night

2.5 year old girl.... usually sleeps through the night (only started about 3 months ago to sleep through)...sometimes wakes up 1-2 times for milk.

as far as i'm concerned... ANY waking is too much! LOL! but you get used to the perpetual state of exhaustion!LOL!

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    unless my boys are sick or some other rare event (the odd night terror or whatever) they have both slept through (11-12 hrs) from a very early age. the eldest by around 3.5- 4 mths, the youngest perhaps a little earlier.

why do i think this is so? they both learnt to self settle/sooth. i have never had to do any sort of controlled crying or major sleep training. although I always left them for 5 mins or so to try and settle themselves before i would intervene. and never left them for a minute if they sounded truly distressed.

the youngest is a thumb sucker and has a little lamb comforter that he sleeps with so he very rarely needs me in the night for comfort. this is just the way i like it.

I don't know how you mums do it for so long. i'm just not a very nice mum after dark. i would give my child a drink of water in the night if they woke and needed it but wouldn't dream of giving them milk in the night after 1 yr of age - or to be honest much earlier than that even.

carang is offline Registered User
    i call it milk, but really it is just coloured water... since we stopped making full on formula,she wakes much less often. she sleeps through most nights now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast