Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Does your baby cling to you a lot?

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi piper, I think most paeds would agree that babies can not learn "bad habits" before 6 month (some say before 1 year). There's no such thing as spoiling a 9 week old. Are you swaddling your baby? That can often help them sleep away from mummy. A good book to read if you are interested in this topic is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr Marc Weissbluth. He makes some really good points about temperament. Some babies have easy, relaxed temperaments and some are more needy and parents need to adapt their soothing strategies to accomodate. For instance my first baby was really chilled and laid back and I could just out him in the crib awake (swaddled and in a dark room) and he would put himself off to sleep. My new baby is much more fussy and really wants to be held or rocked until she is asleep - otherwise she gets really upset.

piper is offline Registered User
    Thanks --- do you where I can pick up book?

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I am not sure if you can buy in HK. You can order via Amazon though..

baffelly is offline Registered User
    My baby is 5.5 month and I know what you mean by having trouble entertaining a baby. I rotate through like 10 of his toys and that kills like 30 minutes! When I'm tired of playing with him, I'll pass him on to my mom or my helper or daddy if he's around. Everyone has a different way of playing with him.
    I am happy to meet up some time mid week either in Causeway Bay, or if you are up for a late afternoon beach outing in Stanley that'll be nice too.

W2BMOM is offline Registered User
    Replying to Sorchului

He doesn't like to watch tv but I will still keep the tv on. I keep trying to get him interested in other channels eg. Animal Planet and Nat Geo Wild but not for long (less than 5 mins). I've tried BB TV, Barney, Disney but to no avail. He still runs to mommy and kept saying "pou pou" (carry me!). Some suggests that I shd leave him with my helper and I tried one Sunday just to go out for dinner with my hubby but before we could even start eating, my panicked helper called for help. Could hear him crying his heart out at the background and helper was worried he might throw up on her again. Ended up I rushed home and brought them out. Had the feeling so we chose a restaurant nearby.

My mom had her share of experience months ago when she was here for my confinement. Left her with bb and helper ... when we came home, poor mom had a hard time consoling the crying baby and my mom used to be a baby sitter to at least 10 kids. Even mom told me that she's never seen such a hard to handle kid. From then on, I'm always at his side coz' no one dares to take up the challenge LOL!

But recently, for the past 2 weeks, I managed to have 2 hrs of free time each week when I left him with the helper at this playgroup which he likes. Still I had to leave the flat with them and do a disappearing act at the lobby. So far he's ok and I hope it stays that way. He's better in the day time now with some distractions but not at night. I thought breastfeeding was the reason but turns out he's still as clingy.

His nickname (given by most people) is "Little Koala Bear" (LKB) and right now LKB is stuck on my lap and refused to even touch the ground LOL! If I put him down, he will start crying and said "pou pou pou pou"!

Any other suggestions?

sorchului is offline Registered User
    To W2BMOM

Wow. Your baby is very clingy....

Well, one solution I can think of is leave your baby with your helper more, let them spend more time together. Perhaps he will not get used to it in the beginning, but hopefully he will be OK later. It's just like sleep training.

carang is offline Registered User
    as a teacher, i can tell you that some children (a little older, say 1.5-3 yrs) use throwing up as a manipulative gesture. they KNOW mummy will stay, come home or whatever BECAUSE they threw up.

if your helper cannot manage your child for a few hours by herself, you need a new helper. running home because your child cried so much he threw up is not going to help matters, it will just make it worse. he's not sick. he's angry. he needs to learn how to deal with that.

i had a child come to my playgroup for over a year. his helper used to carry him in a chinese sling, even when he was over 2 years old. this boy whined and cried and whinged constantly. finally, when i suggested that the helper stop carrying him in the sling and she followed through this boy changed completely. he became a happy, well-rounded boy almost overnight.

i am by no means suggesting that you should let your child cry if he is in pain or sad. but you are only reinforcing the behaviour if you cater to his every whim. you need to remember that you are the parent adn that he is just angry. my daughter has a TERRIBLE temper and there are times that i just have to let her have her tantrum. when she's finished, she either goes to sleep or says "sorry" and gives me a hug.

i wish you luck. sounds like you all have your hands full.

carang is offline Registered User
    ps> i hope that your kids sleep well at night... you ladies must be absolutely exhausted!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scroll to top