Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Feeding Chinese food to baby

W2BMOM is offline Registered User
    To Nicolejoy

How about some soft steamed tofu? I'm sure tofu is on the menu of most Chinese restaurant. Steamed is ideal coz' it shdn't be too oily compared to the fried food. You can ask for less oil or soya sauce. Tell them it's for baby.

Or the sweet bean curd (tau foo fa) especially if you go yum cha. Tell them to give the syrup separately.

My son loves congee, cha siu pau, tofu, noodles and an occasional crunchy springroll skin(just a little) now that he's 19 mths old.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Maybe on the food side, Japanese in laws will have the advantage because Japanese food generally is more healthy? I guess except for the raw fish--but then again, the Japanese kids are eating it and not dying so it must not be that bad. Rice crackers shouldn't be too bad as long as they're softened with a bit of sake, I guess. Lol!

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    Liek carang we just carried a pair of scissors around and gave them whatever we were eating. You will find that when you expose them to lots of things they won't be picky at all. Now at 3 and 5 they eat pretty much any type of food, western, chinese, japanese, east indian, greek, etc. even spicy foods.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    How much should we worry about things like MSG etc? Some people seem quite worried - but then other people don't really care. I'm sure my Chinese husband probably grew up on it and it hasn't seemed to harm him. *shrugs* It's hard to know what to worry about and what NOT to worry about...

I also want to know - slightly different topic - but how young can babies eat sashimi? When I was a kid, my family never ate it so it wasn't an issue. But my husband and I eat it at least once a week...

wwong68 is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't feed any young children sashimi till they are at least 4 or 5. I think cooked sushi is fine. California rolls and those egg rolls but obviously from a reputable rest. I think as long as you don't eat too often from outside rest. It's ok with the MSG. I mean we get artificial additivies to our food everyday. We don't want to start them young but unless you cook everything organic and bring food outside. You can't really worried too much MSG. As long as they are not getting allergies, just let them eat what they want.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    The way that Ithink of it is that we don't eat out every day and we don't eat msg everyday, so once in awhile is okay. Same with eating fish and shell fish in HK, probably contaninated, but we are only there a few weeks at a time. I think of it as benefit vs. risk, never eating chinese food is not really an option when you are a mixed race family. the benfit of chinese food is worth the risk of occasional contamination.

I think our son started eating sashimi and other raw fish around 2 or 3. It is pretty rare to get a parasite, but it could happen. i don't eat any of the raw fish myself, but my husband loves it and our now 5 year old loves it. my 3 year old doesn't like the texture and spits it out.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    I would be worried about the MSG than the actual type of food itself......

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    How much should we worry about things like MSG etc? Some people seem quite worried - but then other people don't really care. I'm sure my Chinese husband probably grew up on it and it hasn't seemed to harm him. *shrugs* It's hard to know what to worry about and what NOT to worry about...
    My son is sensitive to food additives and I don't think long-range a bit of MSG once a week at yum cha is going to damage him but I know for sure after he's had yum cha he is more irritable and gets more hyperactive--just like he does with any kind of food with food colorings and additives in them. A lot of children are sensitive in this way, I think. MSG is also a salt and all things published on the subject say to limit how much salt your children take in because it can be hard on their internal organs.

For my husband and I, we eat yum cha on a regular basis with his parents and we always feel just worn out, bogged down and exhausted as well as super thirsty after having it. Even if we only have a few pieces of dim sum and not a full meal we nearly have to go home and "sleep it off." My husband also notices this even though he also grew up eating yum cha at least 2-3 times a week with his family and grandparents all of his life. So, it can have an affect on your body. But I agree with the above posters who said that as long as its in moderation and you're using your best judgment (taste it first and if its so salty it makes you pucker or obviously has a litre of syrup in it, probably not a wise idea to give it to baby) then Chinese food once in awhile at a restaurant isn't going to kill your child.

Raw fish, however, I won't be allowing my son to eat for at least another year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast