Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby has stuffy nose and mucous

slamdunk is offline Registered User

Baby has stuffy nose and mucous

My 6 m/o boy has a stuffy nose and lots of mucous (can hear light wheezing). This has always been the case and whilst he feeds well and generally has a good sleep routine, he sleeps fitfully. Often stirring or waking up because he can't breathe well (I think). He does not have a cold.

Have tried different sleep positions (side, back, front, elevated) to no avail and wafting menthol/olbas oil to ease congestion.

He goes to sleep with a dummy and sometimes wakes to look for it but not always. When he does sleep thru, it's usually because he's inadvertently breathing with his mouth open.

He's now currently formula fed and starting early solids.

Would welcome suggestions?

baffelly is offline Registered User

a couple months ago my baby (now 5.5month) had stuffy nose. We went to see the doctor and he said it's mild infection. No medicine was prescribed, just some saline solution to drop into his nose twice a day. The saline can disinfect and also help soften up the clogging so he can sneeze it out. You can buy small bottles of saline(I just got the ones used for disinfecting wounds) from Watsons.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

My 4 month old has long had the problem of stuffy nose and lots of mucous. Our pediatrician also recommended he use saline. When he was younger, we used saline that came in small vials that we would drop into his nose. Now as he is older, we have a spray that sprays saline up his nose. We also use it twice a day - in the morning and at night. But if he sounds particularly mucousy in the afternoon, we spray one additional time int he afternoon. We use the saline spray called Sinomarin mini and I get it at a pharmacy called Victoria Dispensary on Stanley Street in Central.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

saline solution is good...perhaps you can buy a thing to suck out the mucuos after you drip the saline. if you go to the baby section in Sogo and ask for something that you can use to suck out mucuos, they will show you. the best one (I think) is the one that has two tubes (one for sucking and one goes into a little bottle that catches the mucuos). though you might not see any mucuos, it will help to loosen up anything inside the nose.

also, when you use the thing to suck his nose, place him on his back and gentley squeeze the two sides of his cheeks so that it opens up the nose passage.

hope this works! also, you can try elevating the head by using layers of towels (make sure they are fixed tightly under so that he can not pull it out and suffocate) or blankets so that the mucous will naturally flow downwards rather than deeper into the nose.

slamdunk is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone, will definitely try saline drops/spray.

W2BMOM is offline Registered User

I use the nasal aspirator mentioned here and that helps. Using it with saline solution is good especially with dried up clogged mucous but shd wait for a while before you use the aspirator so that mucous softens up. The aspirator can be bought fr Eugene Club or Jusco. Buy the one recommended by LESLIEFU. I like it because I can actually control the suction power when we suck out the mucous.

I use Vicks (rubs on his chest & back and sole of his feet and put socks on for him) and also Olbas oil which I think is only effective or soothing for him if you suck out the mucous first.

Also, is he allergic to dust? Do you put soft toys around him or in his crib?

Hopefully you will find a good solution to that problem. Good luck!

Last edited by W2BMOM; 07-19-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

A baby will breath with his nose only during the first year, it is very important to keep it clean, saline solution and the pump is the best solution, just need to do it everyday...
    Becareful with the Vicks... I read on their site it is not recommended for babies...