Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

CIO & Vomiting?

lylee is offline Registered User

CIO & Vomiting?

not sure if this has happened to anyone before, but my baby was on a pretty good nap/sleep schedule (we use marc weissbluth's healthy sleep habits, happy child) BEFORE we came back to canada. now back for 2 weeks, her nap/sleep is a nightmare. i think she's over the jet lag already. tried letting her CIO & a few days ago & she vomited as a result... this happened again yesterday & today. it seems that she knows that vomiting would get our attention right away (and given the mess, it's not something we could ignore) anyone with similar experience, pls share & any advice apprec!!!

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    my son learnt to do this at around 16-18mths of age. the first time he did it i thought he was sick and i took him to the sofa with me for a cuddle and a DVD before putting him back to bed. then it happened the next two nights running. i became suspicious and was pretty sure he was doing it deliberately. i got a change of pjs, bedsheet everything ready. just in case. the next night he vomited and i cleaned him up saying as little as possible to him, changed his sheets and popped him straight back into his cot. he didn't do it again :o)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    How old is your baby?
    My niece used to do this when she got really upset after her mother tried to let her CIO. Some kids are like that, they get all worked up and they might have a sensitive system and then they throw up - I don`t think it was intentional for my niece as she was a lot younger. As a result though, she did get her way, bc she always threw up in her parents bed and they got tired of cleaning it up, not to mention were worried about her vomiting.
    CIO might not be a nice method for her, perhaps there are milder approaches? I`m also interested in one since my son`s napping and sleeping isn`t that good but I won`t ever attempt CIO.

carang is offline Registered User
    i've come across this behaviour in a LOT of children here. it is very common when kids are starting school without parents. it's a great way to manipulate mummy into staying/taking you home/getting what you want.

you don't say how old your child is. it may be that she/he doesn't need a nap any more?

(personally, i can't handle listening to my kids cry when i know they are in pain or sad. i have more tolerance for it when it is out of anger. neither of mine have every gotten to the point of vomitting. i remember seeing on GREY'S ANATOMY that a tight hug will calm the nervous system and the person will eventually calm down. i've tried this with my daughter, who has a nasty temper, and it seems to work. i con't with the discipline after she's calmed down.)

lylee is offline Registered User
    thanks all. i think she's doing it deliberately to get attention & to postpone her bedtime though she's really tired already. she just turned 10 months... not sure if she's napping too much - around 2-3 hours a day & 10 hours at night. she's a very active baby.

carang - my baby also has a very nasty temper. how do you put your's down to sleep? i use to just put her down & then leave the room. ever since she started vomiting, i have to sit beside her until she falls asleep. sometimes, it takes 30 mins, sometimes over an hour... and yesterday, she wouldn't stop crying until we picked her up & let her play for another hour. i'm worried this is leading to very bad sleeping habits...

carang is offline Registered User
    my baby isn't a baby any more. my first is 4.5 and my second is 2.5. she still has a nasty temper. i put her to bed and give her a bottle of warm milk and then walk out. she's usually ok. sleeping isn't much of an issue with her. i do go in to check on them occasionally. i DO NOT sit with them as they do get used to it and it is VERY difficult to break that habbit. i know this first hand as we did it with our son.

if the child vomits, i would not make a big deal of it. i would have a change of pj's and sheet ready to go. take everything out of the cot so that nothing else gets dirty. when little one vomits, one person take the baby (if he cries more with you, then let daddy change the baby) and the other person change the bed. NO TALKING to the baby. just do what needs to be done, and then say "good night" and give a **** then walk out.

if you need to, have 2 or 3 changes ready so that you don't have to rummage around looking for more sheets etc.