Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

kindergarten review

reei is offline Registered User

kindergarten review

hello,

i would like to know where can i get a book for the review of all kindergartens in hk, and details of their open days.
    my daughter is turning 1 coming august, and i would like to spend the year.. visiting kindergartens, open houses.. and do a little survey . probably enrol her when she turns 2? is that how it works here?

thanks.

carang is offline Registered User
    my son was 3 yrs 7 m when he started, my daughter will be the same.
    personally, i could never send my children to "school" at 2 years, although i know most in hk do. for me, it's just too young. i think that they learn as much staying at home and going on outings with mummy, daddy or helper as they do in a "school" setting.

i didn't even want to send my son when he was 3y7m but felt i had to because there were literally no other kids his age around us that weren't going to school. if i'd lived more centralised, there is no way i would have sent him when i did. however, now he's finished one year, he absolutely loves it. he's going to go for a full day next year, because HE wants to.

no, i dont mean sending her to school when she turns 2. i mean registering her for school for the intake when she turns 3. i think in hk we have to apply like 1 year in advance for the coming intake, is that right?

depends on the school. we applied for the gov't voucher in january and once we received it in May (?) we sent the application to my son's school. he was admitted in september. we LOVE his school and would highly recommend it to anyone. it is a local school but they have a lot of expat children. the language of instruction is cantonese with a few classes in english.

we only went to see a couple of kindies in our area at the time and knew instantly when we went into his school that that was the school we wanted. it was very laid back, not stressful and the kids looked happy!

i know a lot of parents really stress out about finding a kindergarten, but i think it is really unnecessary and only plays into the system. it is, afterall, just kindergarten... it's not going to affect their entrance into Oxford or Cambridge or something like that.

again, just my opinion, and i know there are plenty of people in hk that disagree with me on that...

good luck!

carang,

did u go to the school open days or is it just okay to walk in?

Neha is offline Banned
    Get the the School Book Complete Guide to Childrens English Language Education. They are giving it free with the Playtimes Magazine Summer 2009 issue. This has all the schools and u can decide which one u want to call and go visit . Mostly all schools have 1-2 open days a month.

but, as you said, it only covers ENGLISH schools...we wanted our kids to go to cantonese kindergarten.

i don't even know if the schools we approached had open days or not... we just knocked on the door. we looked at 2 in sai kung where we live and 2 in tsing yi, where i work.

thanks neha, but where to get the playtimes magazine? can i get it from dymocks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast