Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Moving to Hong Kong in January with a baby

carang is offline Registered User
    so, as you see, without any idea of budget, it is very hard to recommend anywhere. besides, we all have our 'comfort' level and it really depends on you and your family's comfort level as to where you will want to live.

the best thing to do is to stay in a serviced apartment for a month or so, so that you can have a look around at hte different areas and see where you feel the most comforatable.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi

Agree with the suggestion to get a serviced apartment and have a look around. I never would have considered DB at all until I had a baby and now we are seriously considering it (it is a bit Stepford Wives for me) only because it is so child-friendly. On the commute from DB, yes the ferry is 25 mins but you still have to get to the ferry from your apartment which generally means a bus trip too. If your husband's work is near the ferry pier in HK then at least the other transport will only be at the DB end. Friends who live at the other end of DB from the ferry/plaza allow an hour to get to HK central.

Pok Fu Lam is nice too. People rave about the Bel Air complex which you can probably google to see pictures of apartments and facilities. Given it it so hot in HK in Summer, somewhere which has an indoor playarea and a pool are now high on my list when apartment hunting (oh how things change with a baby!!).

Good luck with the move.

SB2

i lived there for 6 years, used to work in sheung wan and have a bus trip at the before getting on the ferry... i NEVER planned 1 hour as a matter of fact, i had an ipod video, from the moment i left home, until i walked in the door at work, it took exactly 42 minutes... i know because it was one entire episode of CSI (LOL)

Margaret09 is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for your enthusiastic & informative replies....
    Our budget is 100,000 HK dollars max.
    I think we are narrowing it down to either Stanley Bay or Discovery Bay areas - property availability permitting.
    I will also be an older first time mum (42) and have worked as a nurse for the past 25years, so although I enjoy social events very much I'm also interested in doing something for me in the future (once settled). Maybe work 1 or 2 days a week or go back to university to do some more study?? These of course are all random thoughts but I think a suitable location will be a great starting place
    Thanks again for all the replies - keep them coming!!
    Margaret

holy moly! with that kind of budget, you can live ANYWHERE in hk!!! i wish i had a 1/4 of that!

Margaret09 is offline Registered User
    My husband is older & therefore more senior so that's one the perks of age I suppose!!
    I'm very down to earth and meeting similar minded people who enjoy a chat, coffee & a laugh is my priority

like i said, with your budget, you really can live ANYWHERE.

i would strongly suggest you come and stay in a serviced flat for a while to get your bearings. go over to DB a few times to see what the ride really is like... go to stanley by public transport (unless you will be getting a car ~ not for use in db) to see if it is something you would not mind doing.

when are you due? oh, and welcome to hk!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12