Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving to Hong Kong in January with a baby

Margaret09 is offline Registered User

Moving to Hong Kong in January with a baby

Hi
    My husband and I are due to relocate to Hong Kong in January. Our first baby is due in Sept 09.
    He (my husband not the baby!!!) will be working in the civic building which I believe is in the central area.

We are in the process of looking at areas to live in... Our priorities are that we are in an area where there are other mothers with young babies and that there is some social support groups etc

Secondly, that my husband commute is reasonable.

Thirdly, that we are not in high rise if possible and somewhat away from areas that are very crowded

All suggestions will be hugely appreciated

Many thanks
    Margaret

carang is offline Registered User

i would STRONGLY suggest discovery bay, although you make no mention of budget. budget will determine a lot...

db is a very friendly neighbourhood that has direct access to central via fast ferry. hubby will always get a seat in a comfortable, air-conditioned ferry. the trip takes 25-30 minutes. you get to miss sitting in traffic jams during morning rush hour!

db has a HUGE community of families, with many playgroups, art classes, dance studios, club houses etc. depending on your budget, you could possibly get a lowrise with a small garden or rooftop terrace.

musicalmama is offline Registered User

Another suggestion is to live in the southern part of HK island (Repulse bay, Stanley area). You have the access to the beach and mountains, and you can easily go to the city if you have to by public transportation or private car. Carang is right about your budget...it's a factor to where you want to live in. Good luck!

Michelle
    Baby, Children, Maternity and Family photographer
    Welcome to Garthe Photo Arts, Hong Kong

mushi is offline Registered User

hi margaret, i live in happy valley (upper) area and form what i see it matches all yr priorities....this area abounds in young famlies, we have 3 playgrounds and one indoor play area plus library and a convineint wet market i.e. where u get all fresh meats plus the 2 superstores are convinient too. i have 2 small children and have never faced any damgerous elements out here....the neighbourhood is quiet and comfortable, people friendly, and the commute to central is 15 mins by cab or 30 mins by bus.....there are no houses as such to be rented here only apartments but the higher u go in happy valley the view form the flats is fantastic.....give it a try.,

carang is offline Registered User

there are very few "dangerous elements" anywhere in hk....perhaps sham shui po or mongkok at 3am...but even then, i've never had a problem.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I too find HK very safe. Especially in comparison to Australia where I grew up. In fact, I am a little concerned about my kids growing up in HK because they will need very different street smarts when we return to Australia!

wwg2102 is offline Registered User

hi there
    Although South Horizons in Ap Lei Chau is a high rise condo-style development, the seaside promenade and playgrounds in the area are a plus. Plus you could take strolls with the baby and have pretty good views. If DB and Stanley areas are a bit pricey for you, you might consider South Horizons. We like it here for it's calmer pace. Good luck!

LeahH is offline Registered User

My vote would be for Pok Fu Lam - lots of low rise buildings, open views, wide streets that are good for strollers, a well stocked supermarket, kids playroom and grassy areas. Plus a 15 min commute into central.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast