Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Taxi

Smiles is offline Registered User

Taxi

I'm expecting my second baby in 2 months and would like some advice on how to get around with a 1 year old and a newborn in a taxi.

At the moment I use the maxi cosi car seat (can't wear baby carriers due to my bump!). If I have my newborn in the car seat I wouldn't be able to wear the carrier for my 1 year old as I need to lean over to strap in the car seat. If I have my newborn in a carrier it wouldn't be safe for my older daughter to sit on her own with a seat belt. Has anyone come across a seat belt I could put my daughter in while she sits on my lap (a bit like the airline seat belts...but not the flight vest)?

I do have a lovely helper I could take with me but would like to be able to leave the house on my own sometimes!!

carang is offline Registered User
    you may have to invest in a cheap second-hand car or limit yourself to buses until the older one is bigger. there is no easy solution to your problem. the seatbelts you spoke of can actually be quite dangerous (from what i gather, no first hand proof) and might not be suitable for a 1 year old.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Sadly there is no perfect solution, there is something called the 'joey safe' but I haven't heard great things about it. I put the little baby in the maxi cosi and my daughter goes on my knee, or on the seat beside me in the taxi seat belt. She's a fairly big 2 year old though so the fit while not ideal, is do-able.

To be honest, I don't go too many places with both of them on my own!

Smiles is offline Registered User
    Thanks Carang and LeahH, I think I was hoping there would be some fantastic solution I hadn't thought of yet!!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    There is the Sit n' Stroll car seat which turns into a stroller but not easy to operate with a baby carrier on as it can be quite heavy depending on the weight of your 1 year old.

SB2

i had two sit'n'strolls for my kids before we had a car ourselves. i can tell you it would be virtually impossible to take two kids out in them by yourself...if you only have one child, it's great... two is VERY tricky, especially if you want each child to be strapped in properly.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I agree Cara. I suggested the sit n' stroll so that the OP could use that for the older one and use the baby carrier (Baby Bjorn type thing) for the baby. Car seat options are certainly not easy in HK without a car.

sorry... didn't register "a baby carrier on"...duh!