Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

More Tandem Stroller Advice Please

sunnyside is offline Registered User

More Tandem Stroller Advice Please

In a few months I will have an new born and a 19-month toddler. After much research, I am leaning towards purchasing a tandem stroller. From earlier threads I see that both Phil & Ted's Sport and Combi Counterpart were recommended. Can anyone share experience on the ease or challenge of using a tantem around HK island? Specifically, is it difficult to manage it on and off a escalator as compared to a single stroller? Is it hard to go up and down stairs even with 2 people carrying it? I will either be taking taxi or driving so not too worried about public transportation challenges.

Separately, once the baby is older, does he get a raw deal sitting in the back seat where he mostly stares at the back of the front seat?

Thanks for your advice!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I've used the Phil & Ted's with my two boys (age gap 21 mths). It's made life a lot easier, but there are a few challenges:

1. putting the newborn in the cradle is not actually easy - nor is taking the baby out. Once in though, the baby is really snug and secure and generally sleeps.

2. I have never dared take the P&T on an escalator. Far too heavy, in my opinion. I wouldn't risk it. Just have to find alternative routes (I sometimes hunt out service elevators in shops that claim not to have lifts) or avoid places that don't have lifts.

3. We went through a stage when the younger one was about 1 year old when he didn't want to be put in the back seat, and it was very tricky to manoeuvre him in. However, I don't think his objection was to the view (just generally anti-pushchair as he did the same thing with the solo Bugaboo as well).

4. Now the younger one is nearly 2, he happily climbs in the back seat. He can look to either side, but I don't do long walks with him in the back as I do suspect he would get bored. He also likes to now kick his older brother's seat to amuse himself, which the older one does not find funny at all!

In short, I would say the P&T is a good solution to a difficult situation, but it's not perfect (though I can't think what would be!). Having said that, I wouldn't swap mine for a side-by-side, and I've found it a lifesaver at times.

HTH

Hi HTH,

Thanks soooo much for sharing these tips - they are really helpful as this is the first time I hear someone give a detailed account. Seems that P&T is the way to go. I will just have to be more thoughtful in terms of where in town I will be using the tantem.

Btw, did you use a cocoon with the P&T? If you did, would you recommend getting one?

SS

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    depending on the time of year your baby is born it can be too hot in HK for the cocoon. we had a June second baby and never used the cocoon.

the P&T is great tho and i take it on escalators quite often. i prefer to use a lift if ones available but taking it on the escalators isn't too bad.

Hi aussie mom, good to know that it is possible to take the tantem onto escalators making life easier in HK! My baby is due in Nov so I suppose the cocoon will be useful for a couple of months especially as it allows the little one to face me.

Thanks!!