Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Arrow really hit the spot for us!

ihave3cats is offline Registered User
    Must be wondering why u didn't interview her or something.. Yes, it was my fault. I applied for a helper thru an agency and unfortunately just few days before her departure from Philippines, the test results shows that she was pregnant!! So I had to terminate her while she was still there (visa was approved). Agent call my sister in law (she was the one who introduced us this agent) but couldn't get her is she went on holiday.. Wasted 2 weeks, didn't bothered to call us eventhoufh we give her all the numbers. When my Sis in law finally came back got the message and call us.. We were desperate for a helper. Agent say she had file for the 2nd choice already and shouldn't be a problem. But the problem was I didn't even get to interview her... But I gave it a shot. And look what happened!!
    So I have decided: will only take a helper IF I had interviewed her personally, and let her try out at my home, interact with my children to see if they like her. Of cos I know even by doing all these things might still not work out. But at least I tried hard enough..:treadmill

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    ihave3cats, so are you using the same agency this time as last time? The last agency you used sounds horrible for not contacting you and just gave you another helper that you didn't even talk to!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    ihave3cats,

I think when it comes to agencies it is definitely not the norm to be able to interview domestic helper candidates in person. However, Arrow sometimes has domestic helpers that are available for face-to-face interview. The agency you're using sounds a bit different in that it is run by people from the Philippines and probably the candidates that are available for face-to-face interviews have either finished their contracts and are looking for new employers or have been terminated. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in Hong Kong just job seeking. So, I'm curious to know if you've asked if the helper you are employing was terminated or is just at the end of her contract? Also curious to find out what the answer to that question was from the agency staff. I think there are few agencies who would be as honest as Arrow has been when it comes to termination. If a helper is up for rehire because of termination they are completely honest about it. I think most other agencies would just say, "Oh, she's at the end of her contract" regardless.

Also, I am curious to find out what your reason for hiring a helper is--what is your main priority? Do you have little children that need care or is it more for the domestic operation of your house (cooking, cleaning etc.). As you are quite new here (it seems as far as post numbers are concerned) it would be good to see what angle you're coming from.

My main thing when it comes to the overall performance of an agency is the agency itself. It really is "luck of the draw" when it comes to hiring a helper. Every person we've talked to in HK who has any experience with having a domestic helper has told us pretty much the same thing--getting a good domestic helper is about as lucky as winning the Mark 6. So, I think that most agencies are offering employees basically from the same backgrounds--from the same labor pool in the Philippines (or Indonesia). Some helpers work out. Some don't. That's life--same thing in the labor market here in HK--if you're a boss and you hire someone, there is always a risk that that person isn't going to be the right person for the job for whatever reason (lazy, unskilled, not the right "fit" for your company etc.) It's no different with helpers.

But, I have been impressed with Arrow's followup service--they do much more than any other agency I've heard of. They pretty much take full responsibility for the laborers they provide to employers here. If this agency that you're going through ends up being just as good, definitely give us the name so that we can have another choice for agencies to go through.

carang is offline Registered User
    actually, one of the requirements i told the agency we worked with (way back when) was that i could interview the helper directly. i would ONLY take a helper who had finished a contract (not terminated) AND was in hk.

they had MANY people available for interviews that fit those two criteria.

ihave3cats is offline Registered User
    The agency was horrible! We were so mad with the agent we wanted to lodge a huge complaint. However, this is a friend of my sister in law and my husband didn't want to make it too ugly.

I will never go back to the agent ever again! I am currently using another agent whom my friend introduced. So far she seems ok. I will not comment until my helper comes in. But I love the idea that I get to interview personally. The old agent of mine told me that getting fresh ones from philippines is the only safe way!! Since we just came last dec, we were innocent enough to believe her. Also becos she was recommended so we didn't think it will turn out bad. Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I have 2 young children, 2.5 and 4. I also have 3 long hair cats. This means that my home is constantly filled with fur. The apartment is not big so inorder for cats and children to co-exist I figure the floor needs to be cleaned twice a day at least. I need a helper to help me with those.. Since moving to hk I spend so much time cleaning and so little time with the children. My husband is not helpful. He is almost never around..

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I wanted to update this thread with the most recent chapter of our experience with Arrow.

Well, our new helper has been here with us for about 3 weeks and she is.....AMAZING! I am so glad we hired her. I picked her up at the MTR closest to our house and in the taxi on the way to our house she already had her notepad out and was taking notes--without being asked! She is so switched on and just a wonderful all-around person. And my son does really well with her. She knows how to stand up to him and he respects her. In three weeks she has done better than our previous helper did in three months! She has completely adapted to our way of living and isn't at all intimidated by Hong Kong. This is her absolute first time in Hong Kong and even outside of the Philippines and that has absolutely no negative effect on her service. We are so happy! Thanks, Arrow!

carang is offline Registered User
    yay!!!!!!!!!!!

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    Thank you for sharing the ups and downs, thanka. Very very pleased that you are so happy now.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast