Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Arrow really hit the spot for us!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Congratulations Thanka! Glad that it worked out for you :-)

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    Glad your helper is good!! :)

doramich is offline Registered User

age?

Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    I wanted to update this thread with the most recent chapter of our experience with Arrow.

Well, our new helper has been here with us for about 3 weeks and she is.....AMAZING! I am so glad we hired her. I picked her up at the MTR closest to our house and in the taxi on the way to our house she already had her notepad out and was taking notes--without being asked! She is so switched on and just a wonderful all-around person. And my son does really well with her. She knows how to stand up to him and he respects her. In three weeks she has done better than our previous helper did in three months! She has completely adapted to our way of living and isn't at all intimidated by Hong Kong. This is her absolute first time in Hong Kong and even outside of the Philippines and that has absolutely no negative effect on her service. We are so happy! Thanks, Arrow!
    Congratulations. How old is this helper? I am planning to hire my first helper and is now gathering information on what to look for and how to look for one.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Our helper is actually on 31 but she has a 9-year-old and 4-year-old son so she is experienced. Make sure you have some sort of face interview--we had ours over Skype and that was the best way to determine for us if she was suitable. Also, ask tough and specific questions and notice the answering style. Good luck!

Capocelli is offline Registered User

List of questions to hire helpers?

Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Our helper is actually on 31 but she has a 9-year-old and 4-year-old son so she is experienced. Make sure you have some sort of face interview--we had ours over Skype and that was the best way to determine for us if she was suitable. Also, ask tough and specific questions and notice the answering style. Good luck!
    I just want to say "thank you" to thanka2 - I'm a newbie to HK and need to hire a DH ASAP so I can return to work part time....seems to be a mine field and so all the help I can get the better! Posts more than helpful - I am going to contact Arrow and see what they can offer me!

BTW does anyone have a list of questions they asked when interviewing their helpers? I haven't ever hired DH - we had a cleaner in UK but its very different when you will have someone living with you and looking after your baby!

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Some suggestions;

- Why do you want to work in HK
    - How involved were you in the day to day care of previous employers kids
    - what sort of food did you prepare for the children (this gets a better response than below question)
    - What kind of food have you cooked in the past?
    - Scenario questions:

If I were hurt would you call my husband or an ambulance first? - Mean, but a common sense tester.

- What are your expectations; food allowance/ eat with the family, if you live further out - do they expect non work related travel allowance? (are you happy to provide this?)

- Is there a household chore that you do not like to do / not as fond of?

- Do you have any medical problems that may affect your health (eg back problems) when taking care of a small child?

Think of what is important to you and your family and it should flow easily.
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    I want to add that Im not exactly crazy about Arrow's administrative skills or lack thereof. You will need to be persistent.

However, they generally attract good helpers and this is why I still recommend them.

I have friends who have not been thrilled with them overall but ended up with helpers that have been a good fit for their family so the frustration hasn't panned out in the long run
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Capocelli.

Here are the questions I asked our current helper:

1. Tell me an example of one Philippines dish and one American dish and one Chinese dish you know how to make. Tell me the basic ingredients and how you would make it.

2. What is your impression of Chinese people? What are Chinese people like? What is your impression of American people? What are American people like?

3. My son doesn't want to take a nap in the afternoon. Tell me what you would you do?

4. What do you think of this statement: "It is better to have good discipline for children even if that means you make them uphappy."

5. Why do you want to come to Hong Kong to work?

6. What is the biggest problem you are going to face when coming to Hong Kong to work?

7. How do you plan to deal with the fact that you are leaving your own children to come here to work?

8. Why do you think you are the absolute best person to work for our family?

These questions were designed to tease out information about things we felt are important to us. Just by her response to these questions (unlike the other candidates we interviewed, she knew how to give a direct and appropriate response to the question and follow up with "Did I answer your question well?") I could tell immediately that this helper was "switched on"--she was ambitious and had street smarts and common sense--which to me are the top two things we need in a helper. Our previous helper was a bit of a "dim bulb"--never really running at full capacity.

Our new helper is BRILLIANT--I am just looking for a savvy woman to work beside me in running my household, well, because, I consider myself to be pretty savvy and I just can't be bothered to deal with someone who doesn't have their wits about them.

Good luck!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast