Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Throwing objects

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

Throwing objects

My 18mth old loves throwing things - anything - from his Lego to the toy the salesgirl would let him play with while I'm busy paying for something. We tell him we don't like that behaviour (try to avoid saying 'no') but the moment he hears the sterness in our voices, he'll throw it even harder. Does anyone have ideas on how to gradually stop this behaviour? And is anyone else experiencing the same thing? I'm beginning to feel that my 18mth old is slowly developing a mind of his own!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    My son is 20 months old and just does the same thing again and again... and I've seen all the kids around me doing the same thing. We just go on telling him not to do it... and if he throws things at home we ask him to take them and put them back (on the table, in the bin...). He is not doing it as much as before since...

Matty is offline Registered User
    At 20 mths my son liked to throw everything, which is not great when you have a newborn baby.
    There were a few close call with my newborns head!

Telling him no did nothing. We put him on the naughty step, and afterwards, if he did it again, back on the step and we'd take the toy away until the next day.

He soon figured out it wasn't worth it.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i also made a point of saying that only balls were for throwing and made sure we had some time each day throwing balls. it helped more than I expected it too. even now that he's 3 i still have to remind him sometimes that we don't throw things...just balls.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I am going through exactly the same thing with our 17 month old boy (is it just boys that do this????). We keep saying no throwing but not helping either. What can I say instead of "no"? Might have to try the ball substitute.

When is a good time to start using time out/naughty step? Keep thinking he is too young to understand at 17 months.

SB2

lylee is offline Registered User
    no, not only boys, my little girl is 10 months & she is doing that already. she likes to throw everything on the ground... keep telling her no, but think she's too young to understand right now. seems the more i say no, the more she'll throw the things...

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    good to know that this is a common problem (altho' not a pleasant one). bit worrying if it continues until 3!!! i'll try out the ball idea since he does throw his ball around a lot.

Matty is offline Registered User
    We started the naughty step at 18 mths.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast