Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

getting a chinese passport

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

getting a chinese passport

If you are born in hong kong, chinese, have a 3 star ID, but are also a canadian citizen, mainly live in canada, hold a canadian passport and you have to get a chinese passport, do you have to renounce your canadian citizenship to do so?

my husband is trying to get a visa to visit china for a few days, in the past this hasn't been a problem, only took a couple of days, now he is told, since the olympics regulations are stricter and he can't get a regular tourist visa, such that I would get as a canadian tourist, but that he has to get a different type of visa, and he must have a chinese passport to do it, and for some reasons he has to do this because he is chinese and has a 3 star id card.

It is a problem because he didn't know things had changed and we planned to go to china for a few days, but we are only there for a few weeks, while getting the passport and then the visa could take weeks to do. Also I am concerned what having a chinese passprot means as far as canadain citizenship goes, and whether they would expect him to renounce the canadian citizenship, which is 100% not an option!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    did you go to China Travels to get it done? I am in the same situation as you guys and I got a multiple visa to China just a couple weeks ago. yes, they are more strict...but I am pretty sure your husband should be able to get a visa without any problem.

if you want to get a chinese passport you definitely have to renounce your canadian citizenship since the chinese do not allow dual citizenship.....i'm the only one in my family that needs a visa to get into china! :) ha-ha...anyhow, try the China travels in Central (Man Yee building)....they didn't ask any questions when I got one for my helper (and she'd never been to China before)....

good luck!

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Why do you have to get Chinese passport? Can't you just get a Home Return Permit? You don't need to renounce Canadian citizenship with Home Return Permit. BTW, hope you can read Chinese, cos on the website, you only get info on Home Return Permit in Chinese version.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    That is what he needs, the home return permit, but he can't get it becasue he doesn't have a hong kong passport (not chinese, i've since learned they are different), so he will get it and you don't have to give up citizenship to get it, but it will take time, so hopefully it will come quickly and we can still visit china beofre the trip to HK ends. It was easier in the past when all he had to do was get a regular travel visa like I have to get.

mwong222 is offline Registered User
    u can get the passport w/o renoucing citizenship. not really legal but you don't have to proove it or really do it. just say u did if asked. also i don't think the HK passport asks if you are a citizen of another country. i got my son his passport few months ago but forgot what was on the documents.

they are no longer strict on the passport rules since the olympics are already over. my cousin (US citizen) got a 2 year unlimited entry tourist visa in Dec (4 months after olympics) (got it in HK through travel agent). if strict now, most likely due to the riots of last week.