Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Holding in Poo

rach is offline Registered User
    geomum - i realise that a low fibre diet is important - what i meant was other kids that don't like veges don't have the same problem.

he has brown bread, rice, weetabix and sometimes bran, he eats tomato pasta with carrot in it and we get vegies in by hiding them (eg deceptively delicious chicken nuggets with spinach), he also eats grapes, bananas (i know they are not great for constipation), strawberries and raisins so his diet is not bad or processed - i am very strict about the processed stuff and as we have a helper it is easy to ensure all is home made. i was simply saying that his diet is not bad (despite his dislike of veg) but still the problem remains.... i think you misunderstood and i disagree that diet is the only solution i know kids who eat nothing but white bread and plain pasta and they don't have a problem.

it seems to be a common problem of a fear of pooing (in this case i think because it has hurt) but as he is prone to constipation i need to assist him to have softer poos in some ways (done all the diet stuff i can and yes he does drinks lots of water) thanks for the idea of the special gummi bears that might work and i have read of some medicine that helps so thanks.

thanks bumps for the links interesting reading. i guess i will just keep seaching and trying to overome his fear.

thanks matty - i remember you said this and we tried but after a few days he decided 'not that one - other medicine' can sneak into drinks but doesn't seem to help

geomum is offline Registered User
    "geomum - i realise that a low fibre diet is important - what i meant was other kids that don't like veges don't have the same problem."

Do you mean high fiber?

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    hello Rach, his diet actually sounds very good - much better than I can get my son to eat. It does sound more like fear of the sensation, rather than diet. My son used to hop off and on the toilet 8-10 times before going. Almost like he could tell he wanted to go, but didnt want to push. Then he wouldnt go for a few days at a time.

Its not really a solution, but things have rectified themselves in my sons case over time. We tried not to make a fuss, just let him know it was a normal thing and he is pretty regular now, and even says, that didnt even hurt mummy. Maybe if you give him time, he will just resolve the issue himself. He is still quite young, and toilet training is a big step for many children. Sounds like you are doing all the right things for him. I hope things resolve soon so you can stop worrying. All the best. Mel

thanks mel - i hope it resolves itself then i had been thinking it would but yesterday it really seemed bad it had been a few days he was still holding in... he did go this morning i help him to sit like a frog and try to talk about it but not having much sucess but i live in hope then.

i know getting kids to eat veg is difficult so just feel like that is not an unusual prob - however the vege juice pack is a great idea thanks leah never seen those - he loves pureed fruit in packs so i'm sure he would like that.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    hi rach - my 3yr old was constipated recently and told me it hurt to poo and that his poos were too hard.
    I told him that prunes would help him and he was eager to have these prunes as quickly as he could (at that stage I am sure he had no idea what a prune was!)
    Ella's Kitchen do a packet with prunes in and like another poster he thinks Ella's Kitchen are a great treat! the prune one seemed to help him too.
    I also made an annabel karmel recipe of pureed apples, apricot and prunes and he had that on his breakfast.
    It may be slightly different for you given that O is slightly younger but R was really happy to eat whatever i gave him if he thought it would 'help his poos.'
    if you can get either of those things into him it might help. plus the prune juice. maybe mix it up a bit so he doesn't have to have the same thing each day.
    and definitely try to talk to him about it and explain why he should take the various things you offer. if he thinks the prunes or whatever will stop it hurting he may have less fear about going...?

manya_feb is offline Registered User
    hi, we always give our daughter homeopathy medicne for constipation. Not always but time to time. Its Bc4 (biochemic combination no. 4). Four tab. morning/ evening. Infact she loves it. If not twice atleast one time is also ok before bed. You can find out from IMI (Integreted medicined ...some thing something.) With this i make sure tht she must drink some water...for tht i put lemon/strawberry in water or some rose syrup to make it pink. You can try something like this.
    Hope it help you.
    Manya

thanks manya been thinking of trying imi so might give it a shot.

aussie mum - now i remember you talking about ella's kitchen - are they at bumps to babes i've never seen them. i asked if it poo hurt this morning and he said no then i asked if he is scared and he said o, scared of poo and repeated later so that is a breakthrough somewhere to start from. i wasn't sure he knew what scared meant - nota word i have used before or him ...

Lav
    Lav is offline Registered User
    Hi rach
    i know exactly what you are going through. My 3 yr old has the same problem. Its fear of pooing. its all psychological. She had a few bad poo's about 2 years ago and since then she is so scared of pooing that she rather just hold it in. She crosses her legs and "pushes" the poo back in until the urge passes. We have good days and bad days. I put her on lactulose 3 times a day and that helped soften the poo....then when she gets an urge i have to help her by sitting with her on the potty with her and encouraging her that its ok for her to open her legs and let it out!
    On the really bad days we use suppositories. I have visited quite a few doctors and even a child psychologist but nothing has helped. She was off lactulose for a few months and doing great, but shes now back on it after a few bad poo's. Its just a problem that we have to deal with and that doctors assure me will get better as she gets older.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast