Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Normal for 4.5 month old baby to spit up milk?

lisa88 is offline Registered User

Normal for 4.5 month old baby to spit up milk?

Hi

my 4.5 month old is exclusively breastfed. The past week or so she has been vomitting up small quantities of milk, about 2-3 mouthfuls. At first I didn't worry as she used to do it quite randomly when she was younger. However the past week her vomitting up has become quite frequent, ie after almost every feed during her waking hours. She is fed 6X a day, 4X on my breast and 2X EBM. She vomits up regardless of the way she has been fed. Apart from this she is perfectly fine and her usual happy self. SHould I not worry, or should I take her to the doctor?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't worry about it if it only happens after you feed her (maybe she's eating too quickly and her stomach is too full--she might have a stronger suction going on than before). If she's happy and doesn't seem to have any other problems I really wouldn't worry about it unless you feel uneasy enough to visit the doctor. Most doctors might check into reflux symptoms but beyond that there's probably not much else they would do. As long as the vomiting is not continuous as when a baby is ill then there is probably little cause for alarm.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    When my baby was around that age, he started to do it too, albeit more occasionally. It seemed like it was because he just drank too much - around that time, as the PP said, their suction gets stronger - maybe she doesn`t realise it and drinks too much.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    thanks, Thanka2 and Shenzhennifer. Makes sense. Baby has a pretty healthy appetite and she gulps down her milk in much shorter times now. I'll keep an eye on the situation.

wasabibunny is offline Registered User
    unless it is projectile vomiting I would not worry about it. My son spat up till he will 8 or 9 months i believe. it's horrible when they start solids because then you get orange stains! haha.