Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New to HK, New to Pregnancy, Need some Help!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Hi SaraA

I had my son at Matilda last December, I had an elective C-section and 5 night stay in a private room. It came to just over HK$125k. But I had private health insurance through work which covered 90% of the bill, so I didn't mind paying the balance. I had to be insured for 12 months before I could claim any maternity benefits. If I wasn't covered I would of gone to the QM.

I requested not to have my son vaccinated because I wanted to follow the Australian vaccination schedule. He was 6 weeks old when he had his first vaccinations. You have to sign a form requesting that you don't want the baby to be vaccinated. About 2 months later I got a call from the hospital to ask why!

Sorry I can't give any advise on the public hospitals, but I'm sure they would respect your wishes regarding vaccination.

SaraA is offline Registered User
    I am worried about the link to autism via vaccinations. I rather have the shots spread out over a period of time. I have to read more about it but these are my initial thoughts.

carang is offline Registered User
    they don't load babies up with 5 vaccines at once anyway (for a newborn baby, that is).

personally, i think living in asia is VERY different from living in the USA. the population density here makes it a breeding ground for disease.

i had my kids follow the local vaccine schedule without incident (not even a mild fever!). from the reading i've done and speaking to health and education professionals, it seems to me that the "autism" link has been fairly well debunked. (my opinion... i'm sure there are others out there.)

i went to QMH for my two birth experiences. i didn't have much choice. financially, we couldnt' even begin to think about matilda and medically, i have very complicated pregnancies, so told myself QMH was the best place for me.

if i am ever able to talk hubby into #3, i may try for matilda (no insurance) just for the experience! it IS like a hotel!
    good luck! it's an exciting and terrifying time! remember to try to enjoy it! and also, remember to relax as much as possible because once baby arrives... that all changes!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i had my baby at Matilda, but she was sent to QMH within hours of being born...Matilda is GREAT for the mum but they didn't have the proper equipment for my daughter (there were no signs that there was to be a problem)....anyhow, at QMH you can request them not to have vaccinations if you want...I didn't have my BCG's there for my daughter - more for asthetic reasons though since they do it on the arm and it leaves a permanent scar sort of thing...I did it privately instead and I could choose for it to be done on her bikini line....a bit vain I guess....

like Cara says though...they don't load babies up with vaccinations here in HK - so I wouldn't be worried...if I recall correctly my daughter got 2 vaccinations (the most at one go) when she was 4 months old and every other time she got a vaccination it was one by one....

the medical system in HK is actually quite good and they are quite careful, so I wouldn't worry too much about the "autism" link....

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Sara

The autisim link is "associated"with the MMR shot which they give babies at 12 to 18 months. If you go privately you can request to have these shots spread out over time and not as a single injection.

My peadiatrician actually worked with the Dr in the UK that documented the "autisim" link to vaccinations. However, he does not believe there is a link. You should certainly speak with him to alleviate your fears, but you don't have anything to worry about regarding the initially lots of vaccinations your baby will be given.

His name is Dr Ken Chan and he is based at the Matilida but you can also see him at Dr Lauren Bramley's office in Central.

Doctor Lauren Bramley & Partners || Family Practice

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    leslie - I agree re the BCG injection - we asked for it to be given in our son's leg as have seen some terrible scars on the arm from it. It is not even one that is given in my home country so agree with Cara - need to at least consider what is necessary for the local environment because Asia is very different to elsewhere in the world in terms of what is required (and it does go both way eg: up until a few months ago a meningitis shot was a requirement in my home country and is not a requirement in HK).

SB2

ClaireHK is offline Registered User

Wink

HI SaraA... and congratulations!!!!

Lost in HK too... New Pregnancy, 1rst baby (6 weeks), Just landed...
    Quite scared I am...
    For the first I saw for the hospital : matilda, just for delivery (only) will cost 100 000HKD... and so on...
    The first time I came to the Central Health to have a French speaking doctor, only 5 min... Witch send me to the nurse for blood test and confirmation and to the midwife... like half an hour and only 1660HKD... So expensive...
    I'm quite lost for the moment and it's quite early to tell everybody and get advices... So if you want share??? fell free to contact me!!
    See you on the net...
    Claire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12